Options

Can you touch type?

Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
I can't touch type, I kind of hover over the keyboard which leads to mistyping and slows me down. I keep wanting to learn to touch type but then there are other more important things I would like to learn which puts me off learning it.

So, just wondering if you can touch type and if so what speed can you get up to?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I can touch type but I never really took any time to learn besides a class in school years ago. Just picked it up over the years of typing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Up to 120ish, but it really depends on the test. Average 80-110.

A guy at my last job could touch type Dvorak o_0
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    76 wpm on a broken keyboard. 100 wpm typically. I don't use a formal method a-s-d-f-j-k-l-; and know people who can type faster, but don't have much incentive to do so, because the bottleneck is more often thinking what to type.

On a tablet I prefer to swype! ;)

Free Online Typing Test | Test Your Typing Speed | WPM
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm fairly speedy but I hover. I never learned proper touch type.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't type the way that was taught in keyboarding class, and probably hit 80% of keys with my index fingers. However, I can type over 80WPM on my laptop and over 100WPM on my Das Keyboard (which has no letters), and would consider myself a good touch typist. The method taught in keyboarding never made sense; my hands do their own thing.

I'm with Network Veteran in that it doesn't matter at those levels. I can't compose at 100WPM unless I'm furiously dumping whatever is in my brain, and even then, there will be problems if I do.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I kind of have a weird semi-touch typing style. I touch type with my left hand for the most part and do everything on the right hand with thumb and pointer finger. It gets me about 70wpm if the time to correct errors is counted.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I type about 60WPM max, my fingers do what they please.

I used to type Dvorak, but the inconsistency between computers made it pointless pursuit.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are a lot of touch typers here, kudos. Extra points for ptilsen and the letter-less keyboard, first time I have seen that! But I guess it makes you a touch-typer.. I'm only about 45wpm but I agree the brain is a bottleneck regarding what to type. Looks like my new years resolution will have to be becoming a touch-typer - 10 minutes a day for the rest of the year, we will see what happens then.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    It will help out a lot when it comes to speed. It is kind of odd, thinking about ptilsen's keyboard. I don't look down when I type, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where the letters are on the keyboard unless I had it in front of me. It is almost like the moment I hit the home row with my fingers, I just know how to form the words and don't really think about the letter locations. Kind of perplexing.
  • Options
    focushollywoodfocushollywood Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At the time I thought I was crazy for taking typing 1 & 2 in high school, only took them because that was the class all the girls took. Boy am I glad I took those classes now. That was before the days of PC's so it didn't make much sense then, but now I'm on the keyboard all the time and so glad I can type.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It surprises me how many people in IT don't know how to touch type.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't touch type, but have noticed in the last few years that i don't look at the keyboard any more and can type at a decent speed with out looking. be nice to touch type but really no need, would not speed up my work or make things much easier.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Use to be able to touch type around 80-90 wpm, now I just hover over the keyboard producing (at a push) around 45wpm.

I've found that since working in IT and not an office job, I don't need touch typing skills that much :)
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□

I really would like to switch back to dvorak. I would need something like DAS keyboard to do so.

YkCYNRG.png
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Now that I think about it, I've gotten quite good at it. I was just doing a AAA config, 5 minutes ago, on a few routers and switches and a TACACS+ server while looking at and talking to my colleague :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    b80fhl.png
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can do a combination of touch type and hunt and peck pretty well lol.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230

O well; if someone tops it I'll try to break 100.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xXErebuS, very nice! Cleaning my keyboard helped, but I'd need one with no sticky keys to have a shot. :)

• Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I don't touch type, but have noticed in the last few years that i don't look at the keyboard any more and can type at a decent speed with out looking. be nice to touch type but really no need, would not speed up my work or make things much easier.
    I get the sense that that would describe me, for the most part I don't have to look at the keyboard to type something, but wouldn't call myself a touch typist. I have no idea as to my typing speed, may check it out at some point.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    xXErebuS, very nice! Cleaning my keyboard helped, but I'd need one with no sticky keys to have a shot. :)

lol yea I have some sticking keys too; guess thats what I get for eating over my laptop all the time ncool.gif.

I actually print these out and carry them in my wallet to show all the girls when I go out.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    O well; if someone tops it I'll try to break 100.

I challenge thee to a duel :)

Edit: This is on a laptop...I do better on a USB keyboard >_<
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I touch-type. I always counted touch-typing as not having to look at the keyboard to find the keys. Right now I'm just watching the characters appear on the screen. Anyways.

By my definition, yeah I touch-type, and am about 100-105 wpm.

In other news, does anyone else feel for the bumps on the F and J keys, and while you think of what to type, kindof rub back and forth over them with your index fingers, then feel a little dirty like you were doing foreplay with the keyboard?It's just me? hmm.

Update: Just found the link from earlier in the thread - hit 100 exactly.

WPM.jpg 50.6K
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I can touch type :D Depending on what I am doing it is 70 - 100 WPM

I always link this to people who say they want to be able to touch type better. Makes it more fun :)

Z-Type
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fun thread! I've been able to touch type for many, many years now. I blame it on spending endless hours on a computer at an early age
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I can touch type :D Depending on what I am doing it is 70 - 100 WPM

I always link this to people who say they want to be able to touch type better. Makes it more fun :)

Z-Type
    Awesome game!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I can type the thoghts in my head MUCH faster than trying to copy something. I have been typing on computers for over 30 years and I scored in the mid-thirties on this test, but I have typed all of this with little to no effort (and at a much greater rate).

I keep saying that I will learn to touch-type one of these days, but I haven't come to that day yet...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can touch type but really only on my ergonomic key boards. The second I switch to another, I have issues... I have adapted to my Surface's type keyboard but I still make more mistakes on it than I do on my regular keyboards. I taught myself using a CD tutorial. My wife still crushes me at WPM, though. Over the past three years my role switched to being very heavy on development, so typing is just what I do all day. But I get a little annoyed now with people in IT who cannot type at least passably.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    For the record, Im pretty decent at my job -- But I type horribly :) I can only touch type when Im not thinking about it... like now.... But I am in no way proficient at it.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU