Options

Stanly CC Fall 2013 VCP 5 Class

Comments

• Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't say it IN the forum, but rather as part of the link to the forum. However, I can not see a Class Questions link! Perhaps the different tutors run their classes slightly differently? I presumed that we'd all be using the same MOODLE course, but I note that my tutor's name is part of the course, so maybe not :)
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Anyone else having some issues with the labs? They are so slooooooooooooooooow. What should be a simple, quick lab, has turned into a long drawn out process of sitting and waiting.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    So when do things have be done? I'm not seeing a due date for
    • submit the first activity on or before its due date
    This isn't due today is it?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    This isn't due today is it?

Just got an email from the instructor (he clarified a few things). There are no due dates. Log in at least once a week and do the labs he assigns. If we dont finish the labs, for the week, he said no big deal. After week 4, all the labs/modules will be open to us.

Basically, log in once a week and make sure all the labs are done by the end of the course.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I am in Poplin's class and I sent an email to the instructor exactly 2 days ago with no word yet to ensure my labs are being recorded. I read that I could schedule a long period, so I did so and just changed the exercises on the exercise tab. I did the first 3 labs in my time period then shutdown the lab. Just not sure how it all is tracked, or if I have to launch every single lab individually for proper credit, which would take much more time due to prep time.
  • Options
    googol wrote: »
    I am in Poplin's class and I sent an email to the instructor exactly 2 days ago with no word yet to ensure my labs are being recorded. I read that I could schedule a long period, so I did so and just changed the exercises on the exercise tab. I did the first 3 labs in my time period then shutdown the lab. Just not sure how it all is tracked, or if I have to launch every single lab individually for proper credit, which would take much more time due to prep time.
    Right. Is there a way to check if you did the lab correctly? They are pretty straight forward, but I'd hate to find out 3 labs later that I missed something.

And are the labs our only assignments? No test/quizzes?

In other words: To complete the course, do all the labs and log in once a week at least. Correct?
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I notice a quiz at the end of lesson 2?
  • Options
    Do the quizzes associated with the modules on the moodle site. There is one at the end of module 2 like HP guy said. The one after module 3 is just information to get registered for VMware. I used the same info I already have for vmware so hopefully it just associates with the existing account :D
  • Options
    googol wrote: »
    Do the quizzes associated with the modules on the moodle site. There is one at the end of module 2 like HP guy said. The one after module 3 is just information to get registered for VMware. I used the same info I already have for vmware so hopefully it just associates with the existing account :D
    I guess the quizzes are kind of like a practice test. You can check the answers on the spot and submit them after you've made sure you have 100%
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are you guys running in the class? 5.0 or 5.1?
  • Options
    rob3bbrob3bb Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the class is 5.0
  • Options
    Any word if next term will be 5.1?
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any word if next term will be 5.1?

Yes, it will be 5.1. The course administrator is working on the new content now, and it should be ready for the Oct - Dec sections.
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Yes, it will be 5.1. The course administrator is working on the new content now, and it should be ready for the Oct - Dec sections.
    What will be the major difference between the two?
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »

Awesome! Looking forward to it. I'm waitlisted for January, but with any luck I'll get into the October session.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I am trying to finish Lab 4, but it won't take the new license key. I understand new keys were listed, and I believe I am using the correct one, but I keep getting "Eval license has expired."
  • Options
    Did you add both as the Lab mentions? They should show up in the console and show that it is being used. The ESXi license won't show as being used yet. Upon adding them (assuming you finished the wizard and it applied), should show up at the Licensing page and not be expired anymore.

If you completed that section in full and still no avail, perhaps add some screenshots here?
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't have a problem licensing. Only problem I had so far was getting the embedded db saved for the vcenter appliance. White box popped up like 10 times before it finally saved.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tstrip007 wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem licensing. Only problem I had so far was getting the embedded db saved for the vcenter appliance. White box popped up like 10 times before it finally saved.

Had the same problem, it didn't work after a few hours of trying so I gave up. The next time I booted up the lab it worked... very strange.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those that are in the October class, did you guys get your registration email yet?
  • Options
    Apparently the bug is that it does indeed save, you just don't see it with the schema edition update, but I wasn't able to see that it was at 5.0 until I powered up the vCenter again..and noticed its 5.0 and might have saved all along since it said operation completed. Only have to do test settings or save settings, not both apparently. test just updates schema and it was definitely saved...heh It was a good troubleshooting hour.
    terryfera wrote: »
    Had the same problem, it didn't work after a few hours of trying so I gave up. The next time I booted up the lab it worked... very strange.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine didn't look like it ever saved the schema, it wouldn't even load DB2 on boot for a while. Got to the point where I was looking through the DB2 and vpxd logs on the appliance and seeing random error messages about certain files failing to load.

After a bunch of googling apparently that's why they switched the embedded DB on 5.1 :).

At least I know how to get around the vcenter appliance a little better now :D
  • Options
    TheProf wrote: »
    For those that are in the October class, did you guys get your registration email yet?

I'm currently waitlisted for January. In my last email to Jana, she indicated that she wouldn't know if I'd make the October class until late September.

I'm guessing there's still a couple of weeks until the registrations go out.
  • Options
    I'm currently waitlisted for January. In my last email to Jana, she indicated that she wouldn't know if I'd make the October class until late September.

I'm guessing there's still a couple of weeks until the registrations go out.

Just got an email from Stanley saying I should be included in the October class but they haven't opened registrations yet. I guess the email will be coming sometime this month once the registrations are open.
  • Options
    Just got an email from Stanley saying I should be included in the October class but they haven't opened registrations yet. I guess the email will be coming sometime this month once the registrations are open.

You should decline to make room for me. ;) Good to know though. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    You should decline to make room for me. ;) Good to know though. Keeping my fingers crossed!

If only you knew how many years I've waited to go on this course in general :)
  • Options
    If only you knew how many years I've waited to go on this course in general :)

I hear that. I gave up for several years after my company wouldn't spring for it. Do you remember when you wait listed?
  • Options
    I hear that. I gave up for several years after my company wouldn't spring for it. Do you remember when you wait listed?

Sometime in end of June, early July I believe, don't remember the exact date as I never got an email confirming anything. The only way I found out, is by sending them an email this week and asking.
  • Options
    Sometime in end of June, early July I believe, don't remember the exact date as I never got an email confirming anything. The only way I found out, is by sending them an email this week and asking.

Good news. I wait listed July 3rd, so maybe we'll be classmates.
  • Options
    Good news. I wait listed July 3rd, so maybe we'll be classmates.

It's a possibility :). Did you follow up with Stanley?