Options

Stanly CC Fall 2013 VCP 5 Class

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @brownwrap - check the following link > VMware KB: Virtual machines appear as invalid or orphaned in vCenter Server . It may even have something to do with licensing.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Thank you. Maybe I did enter the license incorrectly, I don't know why it would let me boot the VM though. I tried adding the two machines back to the inventory, and I received a message that they were already there, so I deleted them. When I added the original John server, I did not see the LabVMs folder. I see it at the same level as Lab Servers using the Hosts and Clusters view, but Vms and Templates it doesn't exist. So when I created John-1 I placed it is Training. Was that the start of my problems?
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I remembered something going over the steps.I created the Custom-Spec file, but when I got to the Guest Customizing page, all of the radio dials were greyed out and I couldn't select the CustomSpec I created. Therefore, It wasn't able to get the licensing information.
  • Options
    MartytoofMartytoof Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I just finished all 18 Labs, and all 7 quizzes show up as complete for me. Is that it for the class? I don't want to log in on the last day of class and find out that my labs weren't recorded for some reason. Haven't heard back from Dustin yet, unfortunately.
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I haven't heard back either from Dustin. The other professor(s) seem to respond quicker and just wish I had one of them. Oh wells, still a decent class and wish they responded faster. 24-48 hours is within means I would think for an online class at the latest, but not more...

I am in the same boat as you, 18 labs complete, 7 quizzes complete, but modules 13+ seem to be missing on the moodle..so who knows.
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone!

I've been following the main Stanly thread and just saw this one. I too am in the Sep-Oct class and hopefully almost done with it.

I've completed all of the quizes and only have one lab (plus the optional one) left. I've also built my own lab at home (3xPE1950 ESXi and 1x2950 OpenFiler) since I wanted to get some additional hands on experience before taking the exam. Anyway, I too am a bit concerned about knowing whether I've met all the class requirements. I saw that email from the instructor indicating that most people are far behind and hope I'm not missing anything. I've sent him an email, but he hasn't responded. He also never responded to the first one I sent a month ago about issues with their lab environment. I'm not sure if we are supposed to use the built in email system or send it directly to his gmail account.

I'm waiting to get the certificate and other freebies until tomorrow since the clock starts on the first of the month for the licenses. I've already registered for the special VCP exam using the link provided and I see it on my Pearson account. Another thing I'm worried about is how our class passing is associated with our MyLearn.VMware.com account if we already have one. I hope they don't make us a brand new one - that would suck if someone already passed the exam and it didn't associate with their account.

Anyway, just wanted to say HI and share some of my concerns ;)
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Your concerns are familiar to me; I participated in the Summer class.

If the quiz feature shows that you have finished all quizzes, you are in fine shape. Don't expect a personalized "That'a boy!" from the instructor.

I began downloading my VMware "goodies" on the last month, just as you said you are planning to do. I can't speak for the Pearson Vue account -- I have one too, but registered for the exam only after the class finished. My MyLearn account with VMware was updated automatically with a course completion record. I suppose VMware associates the email address I provided the instructor during the 3rd (?) week with the email used to create the account. I don't recall being notified of the course completion by VMware; it just appeared about a week or so after the course finished.

I am crossing my fingers that this school will come through and offer the EMC module the instructor mentioned.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quick question, to those that finished the course, is it a self paced course or do you follow a schedule?
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Well, I heard back from Dustin and it looks like I've only completed 9 of the labs? :O

I've been doing several labs per reservation by using the "change exercise" button so if you've been doing that like me I urge you to get in touch with Dustin and make sure that it shows you as having completed all the labs.

I'm not really sure what I have to do at this point. I asked him for a list of labs that I haven't completed so I can do them again if I need to, even though I've already done them. I'd hate to fail this class on a technicality or technical snafu icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    TheProf wrote: »
    Quick question, to those that finished the course, is it a self paced course or do you follow a schedule?

Self paced, but the assignments are dished out each week. You won't be able to finish it all at once unless you wait several weeks - at which time you have to "catch up."
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    The class ends on the 9th of October. So people need to get cracking!

The post above about the multiple labs per reservation scares me a bit. That's exactly what I do. So I'll complete all the labs in the next few days and confirm with the instructor if I've completed everything.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    I wanted to chime in on the topic of labs and completion.

As of last night, I completed up to and including Lab 17 (though ran into some issues on the simulator with HA failover...). I heard back from the teacher this morning who answered my other questions and mentioned he only showed I completed eight of the labs. I too used the feature to complete multiple labs at the same time, and probably only used eight unique sessions. So I agree that it appears the lab completion tracker is broken.

I mentioned to him that I setup my own lab at home to do on-going exercises and he said I could complete the labs on that as well. Since I've been having issues getting 17 working through completion (tried again today), I'm just going to go that route. Basically, when I attempt to reboot esxi-1, the whole lab crashes and nothing works properly after that.

So I would agree that if you have completed multiple labs in one session, it's probably a good idea to let the teacher know so he is aware that this requirement has been met. It's better to be safe than sorry!

I should be finished with the CBT Nuggets videos tonight and will start in on the Train Signal series (which looks considerably more in-depth) tomorrow. While doing those, and additional lab work at home, I also plan on reviewing a lot of the free material VMware offers online (troubleshooting guides, maximums, etc.), and plan on taking the VCP by the end of the month.

The teacher just emailed us a VCP discount exam voucher, plus we have one at the Stanly online store (free), so it looks like we can get two shots at the exam for 70% off. Which is a good thing since I'll try once in a few weeks even if I'm not 100% confident as the cost will only be like $65.
  • Options
    Ya he saw I didn't do anything after 13, but he hasn't logged in to the labs yet, so hoping that after he does, he will see that I did them all. I did the rest back to back through exercises and switching the labs. I should be good to go, glad to hear from him. Looks like I am all set. Exam scheduled and got confirmation from Pearson Vue today.
  • Options
    Just got confirmation this morning that everything is set, he checked and I am done. Time to study for my exam in a month. Focusing on the weaker areas on the blueprint.
  • Options
    Also got my confirmation that I am completely finished with the Labs. I still urge anyone who has any doubt about whether they're finished with the labs to contact him directly. Easier to get him to check than to find out that there was a problem after the class finishes.
  • Options
    thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is this Stanly store you guys are speaking of? I am in the Fall class, however I don't recall it being mentioned.
  • Options
    thealpha wrote: »
    What is this Stanly store you guys are speaking of? I am in the Fall class, however I don't recall it being mentioned.
    You'll have access to it soon. They have everything VMware you'll probably need for FREE!

Workstation, Center, Cloud suite, an EXTRA voucher, etc.

I got like half the stuff that was in the store. =]

Perhaps you have access now. Go to vmware.stanly.edu and login if you have your information. After you login, go to the VMWare Store link on the left hand side. From there, you should be good to go.
  • Options
    thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll have access to it soon. They have everything VMware you'll probably need for FREE!

Workstation, Center, Cloud suite, an EXTRA voucher, etc.

I got like half the stuff that was in the store. =]

Perhaps you have access now. Go to vmware.stanly.edu and login if you have your information. After you login, go to the VMWare Store link on the left hand side. From there, you should be good to go.

Perfect, thank you :)
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What???? How did I miss this?!

Thanks guys :D
  • Options
    shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't see the store either (in Jeff Drake's class).

Also better get in touch and see if my labs are completed as I used the change exercise button function like many of you guys. Now I'm nervous! icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Go here: http://vmware.stanly.edu
    and use you Moodle login credentials. You should be able to download all of the stuff. Not sure if the teacher has to unlock it or it's automatic.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My logins worked.... so giddy!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone else come across an issue with their VMFS-1 showing up as inactive?

I wanted to have my final lab done by tonight but for some reason VMFS-1 isn't functional. Weird!
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mine worked fine this morning. Reboot the array?
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Just got an email from Jana for the October thru December course. Excited and signed up immediately! How did you guys like the aug-oct session?
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When/how do we get the exam voucher?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    When/how do we get the exam voucher?

You should be able to find it in your moodle.stanly.edu after you log in. As well as in the VMware store. So you get TWO!
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    whereabouts in moodle do you find this?
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheProf wrote: »
    For those that are in the October class, did you guys get your registration email yet?

You will be getting an orientation email soon.