Options

Stanly CC Fall 2013 VCP 5 Class

Comments

• Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those of you in the upcoming October 21 class, you will be getting an orientation email in the next week or so.
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    Hey guys,

i have just signed up to the waiting list. Who are you guys in contact with at Stanly? I have a few queries i wanted to ask them.

Thanks
    You can email me at slewis8950@stanly.edu with any questions you may have.
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Someone posted here that they had finished the class, but planned to do the labs over a couple of times. I am not sure if that person meant on their own setup, or using the school's lab. I se the class ends in October, but I don't seem to find a date. When is the last day to have everything finished up?

The August class ends October 9th. This information was in your orientation email.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    anobomski wrote: »
    whereabouts in moodle do you find this?

moodle.png

at the bottom
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I most definitely do not see that when I log in to moodle. Maybe it will appear after midnight tomorrow when we no longer have access to the labs. Got it on the store anyway and have paid for the exam. Just have to set the date now :)
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ...How did you guys like the aug-oct session?

It saved me (or my company) thousands of dollars, so I couldn't be happier :).
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    phonic wrote: »
    It saved me (or my company) thousands of dollars, so I couldn't be happier :).

Great to hear! I work 3rd shift so an online course is really my only option.

Can someone tell me what the textbook is and roughly what the cost was for you?
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Book is $42.35
    Shipping was $16.70 for me
    Order total [USD]: $59.05

You can probably get away without buying the book, just watch the videos of the slides (in book) on moodle. I would invest in other VMware books like mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe, possibly a supplement. You could get the IT Academy course book probably on Ebay at a discount. I might be throwing mine up there soon, though its 5.0 version. I think this next class they are going 5.1 for the course...
  • Options
    googol wrote: »
    Book is $42.35
    Shipping was $16.70 for me
    Order total [USD]: $59.05

You can probably get away without buying the book, just watch the videos of the slides (in book) on moodle. I would invest in other VMware books like mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe, possibly a supplement. You could get the IT Academy course book probably on Ebay at a discount. I might be throwing mine up there soon, though its 5.0 version. I think this next class they are going 5.1 for the course...

Thanks. I guess i'll wait until it is officially published. Good to know the book isn't $200 like some college textbooks :)
  • Options
    I've e-mailed nick hunnycutt both through moodle as well as my personal e-mail on Thursday confirming that I've completed the labs and quizzes properly. He's yet to respond to me icon_sad.gif I hope that in the event my work isn't complete, I'd still have time AFTER the class is over to make up anything I've missed.
  • Options
    I've e-mailed nick hunnycutt both through moodle as well as my personal e-mail on Thursday confirming that I've completed the labs and quizzes properly. He's yet to respond to me icon_sad.gif I hope that in the event my work isn't complete, I'd still have time AFTER the class is over to make up anything I've missed.

Got a response!

I know there are lab problems today, everyone is using the labs and it's affecting performance. The lab admins have yet to get it fixed.
    I have everyone's information submitted to VMware already, so you are good to go in passing the class.
    Please do not send me emails about labs anymore, they may or may not work if you want to access them, but like I said, you have already passed this class.
    I apologize for the labs this 8 weeks, it has been rough, and we have to re-engineer the entire system after this class ends.

Looks like I passed! phew!
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exam scheduled for November 4th. I better get to studying!
  • Options
    FYI - I just checked my VMware MyLearn account and noticed that I now have credit for the the class. It shows under my Transcript and the box is checked under my VCP5 cert tracking status. It shows up just as if I took the official VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.0] class.

Woohoo. Now to just pass the exam...
  • Options
    Wow indeed. It is already posted. I was expecting it to take like 1-2 weeks, looks to be pretty streamlined and sync'd up quite well then.
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good spot! My certificate is now stuck on the wall by my desk at work!
  • Options
    rob3bbrob3bb Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I checked my transcript on mylearn/vmware and confirmed as passed as well. Now to start studying and schedule exam for early NOV
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I guess I missed something. Were we told to create a 'my/vmware' account. I didn't, how can I check after the fact, whether or not I received credit?
  • Options
    That registration 'quiz' you filled out in the class was for a MyLearn account. If you already had one, the class should be added to its transcript. If not, VMware should create one for you based on the information provided. AFAIK.
  • Options
    Has anyone else tried to register for the PSE exam at Pearson Vue? I just tried to schedule my exam but am running into issues.

I entered in the code that we were given (the one redeemable directly at Pearson Vue), and it is taking 75% off the price, so the code obviously works. It is also showing up as an VMware Academy code:

[TH]Subtotal:[/TH]

[TH]Tax: [/TH]

[TH]Voucher:[/TH]
    IT Academy Reward Discount. Allows candidates to receive a 75% discount.

[TH="class: boldStyle"]TOTAL DUE:[/TH]
    USD 67.50

However, when I try to continue past this point, it is giving me an error message that I need a special voucher or promo code just to be able to register for this exam:
    The exam for which you are registering requires a special voucher or promotion code. If you require further assistance, please contact a Pearson VUE Call Center.

It's good to know that a code is required (hence that might answer the question about anyone simply taking the PSE exam), but it also looks like Pearson doesn't consider my code to qualify. I guess I can try to use the third-party redeemable voucher code instead, but I was hoping to use that for my second shot if I failed the first time around.

I can't call Pearson now since they are closed, but was wondering if anyone else was able to use their code successfully?
  • Options
    I used my voucher code fine, had an issue in the beginning with it not liking the voucher on the pearsonvue website, but I just made sure there were no spaces after it and there wasn't, but something was there, but upon hitting del key a couple of times it worked for me...Hope that helps for you.

I am registered for Nov 1 using everything the same as you.
  • Options
    phonic wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried to register for the PSE exam at Pearson Vue? I just tried to schedule my exam but am running into issues.

I entered in the code that we were given (the one redeemable directly at Pearson Vue), and it is taking 75% off the price, so the code obviously works. It is also showing up as an VMware Academy code:

However, when I try to continue past this point, it is giving me an error message that I need a special voucher or promo code just to be able to register for this exam:

It's good to know that a code is required (hence that might answer the question about anyone simply taking the PSE exam), but it also looks like Pearson doesn't consider my code to qualify. I guess I can try to use the third-party redeemable voucher code instead, but I was hoping to use that for my second shot if I failed the first time around.

I can't call Pearson now since they are closed, but was wondering if anyone else was able to use their code successfully?

I had the same issue as you. What I did was buy the voucher from VMware Store and do it that way. Should I fail the test, then I would go back and use that code by calling Pearson Vue to see what's wrong.

It's the same price, so there's no difference using 1 method from another
  • Options
    Did you run into those issues even after it discounted your exam costs and applied the voucher?

I just tried removing it and typing it in manually (no spaces for sure) and it still rejects it. Since it does permit the discount, it's almost like it's not marked as a PSE qualified code. This is the one the instructor emailed to us - not sure if they are individual one-time-use codes or the same for everyone. I've tried multiple CCs and two different browsers (Chrome and FF) just to be safe - same error message.

Argh.
  • Options
    Oh, I did not use the one the instructor sent to us. I used the one on the vmware store through the stanly site. It is on the store and then you add it as an order (free), get the info along with some other goodies, such as just recently vmware workstation 10. It was only up to vmware workstation 9 until recently I checked again and boom, 10 and fusion 6 was on there now.

It sounds like the voucher on the vmware store site is PSE and the one that the instructor sent us may be a regular one?
  • Options
    Ah..... Yeah, I have that code too, but as I mentioned earlier, that was going to be my Plan B code :). I figured it would be easier to use that as a retake code than the first one, since it would have been redeemed outside of Pearson Vue (not sure if that is true or not, but it sounded good!).

Going with your theory, I went through all the steps to schedule the non-PSE VCP5 exam. Low and behold, the code the instructor emailed to us works for that as well. Same discount description and everything. That's weird that a VMware Academy code won't let you take a VMware Academy test. Must be some bug?

I guess I'll register using the other code/method. But what happens if I fail my first go around and need to take it again? Will the system reject me like it is now, or are retakes processed a different way?

The only reason I was going to try and take the VCP5PSE so quick was because I figured it was only a $67.50 gamble and I have another shot at the same price. If a re-take is going to cost $225, I might hold off for a couple more weeks.
  • Options
    MNABIUDDINMNABIUDDIN Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Phonic/Members,

I am new to this technology and I recently received exam confirmation for VCP510PSE. But when I try to schedule the exam on the Pearson VUE website, I get the same error which you were getting " The exam for which you are registering requires a special voucher or promotion code. If you require further assistance, please contact a Pearson VUE Call Center."

I contacted Pearson VUE call center but they were not able to resolve the problem. As you people have gone through this and already have experience in overcoming this problem. I request you to kindly help me in scheduling this exam.

As it is asking for Promo code/voucher, if you can help me with the vouchers to enter while scheduling the test or Guide me where I can get the vouchers/promo codes to enter while registering for the Test.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the exam voucher code that my instructor posted on the homepage of moodle and it worked great. The same code also has worked when I scheduled a 2nd attempt. So if you don't pass the first time, looks like you can re-use.
  • Options
    tstrip007 wrote: »
    I used the exam voucher code that my instructor posted on the homepage of moodle and it worked great. The same code also has worked when I scheduled a 2nd attempt. So if you don't pass the first time, looks like you can re-use.
    mind sharing the code? as it seem unlimited. PM if you don't want to put it here.
  • Options
    I was never able to use the Moodle code, but I was able to use the one through the Stanly store (free) via that third party website.

I never got around to calling Pearson for help, but it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered based on your experience.

You should be able to use the other code to get the 70% off.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested in selling their textbook (if that is possible) please send me a PM with the offer. It isn't on amazon it seems. The current course text is:

· TITLE: VMWARE VSPHERE 5.0: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    · AUTHOR: GILMORE
    · PUBLISHER: GILM
    · ISBN: 9789970046461
    · NEW: $42.35 + tax + shipping
  • Options
    You don't need the text book. I never bought/used/saw it, but many have said it is a waste of money and to buy a better one instead (e.g. Mastering vSphere 5).