How to study commands?

DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
I wanted to ask a few questions about ICND1 (the new one, not the old one).

1. What types of commands do you need to know, particularly the important ones?
2. How exactly do you practice those commands? I know you use some sort of packet tracer or GSN3, but am I just supposed to build random networks and test random commands? I have Odom's new book and with it came a CCENT Lite software, which has a few labs but requires a bigger version to get access to over 400 of them. Is the CCENT Lite software enough?
3. How many chapters into the book should I be before I use the commands? Should I wait until I'm finished with the book?
4. Do I need to know more commands for ICND1 or ICND2?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    1. Check out the exam topics. You need to know the commands to implement the technologies covered.

2. You use a real lab or simulator/emulator to implement the technologies you are learning in the book. You can make up labs yourself or follow along with lab guides.

3. I'd start implementing what you come across in your studies. If you are learning about IP addressing then start applying addresses to your lab. Go from there building on.

4. I don't think there is really a set amount of commands you need to know for each exam. Again, just go through the topics and learn the associated commands.

It may seem like a lot to remember now, but it sticks with practice just like anything else.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1) You need to know the ones Odom teaches
    2) Try it out with a simple topology, 2 switches, 2 routers in PT
    3) Try the commands you learn from each chapter after you're done with the chapter. Slowly start integrating the new stuff you learn with the old stuff.
    4) Only what you're taught in the books. ( we can't say exactly what's on the test, the books cover what you need )
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is the Bible CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition): Scott Empson: 9781587201936: Amazon.com: Books

Love it, Learn it, Never leave the house without it!
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Learn and practice the commands as the book introduces them. Specifically I would know what each show command gives you. For example when I took my CCENT not too long ago I had a sim that required some troubleshooting. It boiled down to a link between 2 routers had IPs in different subnets. Well certain show commands were not allowed to be used on the exam and some were. Some show commands only give me IP and not mask, etc. You'll want to know all the show commands that will show you the interface IP addresses in this simple example.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    1) Too long to list in one post but the Odom book pretty much covers it along with the CCNA Portable Command Guide
    2) Lab, Lab, Lab. Yes, you can build random networks and practice that way topic-by-topic. There are tons of free CCNA labs online you can search for that should give you plenty to practice as well. Not sure about the CCENT Lite software but Boson CCNA Labs have received excellent reviews from other posters but it's pretty pricey. GNS3 and Packet Tracer are better alternatives for virtual labs
    3) If you're using the CCENT book by Odom, I believe the first 170 pages or so are basic networking concepts and after that, it starts to get into CLI. That's the point where you should be to use the commands since you're not used to the commands at all
    4) No idea... the tests have changed. You'll probably need quite a bit for both tests
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com