Options

Where is that joke "If you'd hire a lorry / truck driver like some IT guy"

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I cannot remember exactly where I saw it here, but someone posted a job advert / joke how it would look like if you phrase a truck driver job spec like some agencies do with IT ...

Can anyone remember ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One of the comments from the 2nd link above that made me laugh: "this is spot on!
    I would like to add something: If you make it in the interview and you get the job, the chances are that you are not going to drive anything, instead you are going to pull a donkey cart!"
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "3. Tell me about a time when you triumphed over evil and saved the day when no one else could. Few of us are really going to encounter the kind of heroics that a company is looking for. Sorry guys, left my cape at home."

Best comment....I come in to work, I do my job...If I prevent a network outage or do a preemptive fix on a dying server that doesn't make me a hero, it just means I know my job.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's either the joke is deep or i don't get the joke at all or the joker has some kind of sense of humor, i usually enjoy a good joke but this one is... kinda.... weak icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    It's either the joke is deep or i don't get the joke at all or the joker has some kind of sense of humor, i usually enjoy a good joke but this one is... kinda.... weak icon_cry.gif

Not a joke per-se, but the sad truth :)
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Not a joke per-se, but the sad truth :)

That sounds better, did you laugh though?
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is sad but like jibbajabba said true. The interview was hilarious.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    That sounds better, did you laugh though?

Chuckled :)

I just needed it again because I wanted to forward that to an agency which keeps annoying me with silly "offers" :)
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    Best comment....I come in to work, I do my job...If I prevent a network outage or do a preemptive fix on a dying server that doesn't make me a hero, it just means I know my job.

Interestingly I rebooted a firewall for a work mate the other day out of hours. he had applied the hotfix and it just needed a reboot to take. Unfortunately it died and I spent about 6 hours rebuilding it from scratch as the back ups were corrupted. Git it finished about 3 am and sent a email around the company apologizing for the outage with a brief explication about what had happened and what had been affected.

Following day my mailbox will filled with people thanking me, director came in to office to tell me to take the day of... I tell you I am going to break things more often, just so I can fix them and get a thank you :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Maybe I should work for the PI as well - THAT sort of thing is unheard of in IT :p

* is booking a train to Wales *
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That first one was so funny, I just about fell outa my chair. They could probably fit in their somehow that support for legacy migration to personal space craft with at least 6 years of personal space craft support is preferred. Jibbajabba, no recruiter will ever even understand what your intension by forwarding this is, only us! (good call though).
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 193 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a while I was seriously thinking about truck driving as a career. Money can be really good driving the hazardous materials and if your willing to do OTR. I have a relative making 100k a year doing it in North Dakota. Entry level OTR truck drivers are often paid more then entry level IT guys. I often will hang out at truck stops and joke around with the drivers in town. Studying for my Network+ exam I woke up early a couple times took my book and went to a truck stop. Had coffee with the truck drivers at like 4:00am in the morning while I read my Network+ books. They are often the blunt of a lot of jokes, but man some of them make some really nice money. I know a few that dropped out of high school, but dam they make a lot more then I do. One trucker everyone makes fun of has a criminal record a mile long. He got caught a couple years ago with a transvestite hooker in the chicago area and he also has been arrested for drugs numerous times. He still has his CDL, has no problem finding employment as a trucker and makes a hell a lot more than I do that's for sure. One of my favorite shows to watch is Ice Road Truckers.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula