Options

Need help moving wds from a server who had DHCP server role also..

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,
Currently trying to relocate WDS to other server who does not have DHCP installed.

We have around 5 DC with DHCP and WDS installed.. I'm trying to move the WDS away from these servers by moving images to new server then installing the role. I configure WDS and stop the service on the old server. I start up a vm to test if its working and nothing... I then stop the service on the new server and switch back on the old server service. Once I do that everything works like before but can't get it to work with the new server. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lot of variables here to work with.

After stopping WDS on the old server, does DHCP still function properly?

Is the new server firewalled?
  • Options
    Windows firewall shows all open. The sys admin who looks at the firewall says all firewall is handled by a 3rd party firewall. I'm pretty sure their open but I can have him verify. DHCP should be working afterwards as the DHCP service stays on and doesn't display errors.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you test with a VM, does it pick up an ip address? My general assumption here is that WDS works, but the pxe client just can't get the boot image.

You could try setting DHCP option 66 (I think?) to assign the WDS box's IP along with the rest of the IP info.
  • Options
    I put in DHCP option 66 as my wds ip address. Still no luck. Just rebooted server.. so ill see.

And for your first question, no i'm currently not getting ip address on the pxe boot.

edit: You might be right that its DHCP... not sure how I can troubleshoot this since it working when I turn on service on the main server.
  • Options
    Found the answer to my own issue. It was DHCP Option 60. It can't be enabled on DHCP if WDS is separate server.