Best method of studying?

Showtime2kXShowtime2kX Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I decided on getting my Network+ cert, and I want your opinions and advice on the best way to study.

I have my own PC Repair business, so I was going to purchase an audio book via Audible and listen to it while I'm driving.

I was also considering CBT Nuggets. At $99 a month, it's a bit pricey, but it seems like the material is REALLY good, maybe a bit better than TrainSignal at first glance.

Would these two be enough, do I still need a textbook? If so, what? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Showtime2kXShowtime2kX Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »

Thanks. I probably should have mentioned that I have already been checking out his stuff. Pretty good!

Anything else, though?
  • JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just knocked out the A+ 2 weeks ago and the Network+ yesterday. I had been studying for a couple of months for both. My methods were pretty much this:

-Read through book while occasionally watching Professor Messer videos on some topics.
    (Prowse's ExamCram for the 800 series, Lammle's Network+ Study Guide)
    -Take practice/evaluation tests. Write down questions I missed, re-study those topics in the book and online.
    -Take more practice tests I found online, and again going over everything I miss until I consistently could answer almost everything.

Know the OSI and TCP/IP model. Know the troubleshooting methodology, cable specifications, wireless specifications, and all the tools you can use. Know what every acronym is and what it's used for in troubleshooting, because most of your answer choices are just gonna be a list of acronyms.
  • Showtime2kXShowtime2kX Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JLAW904 wrote: »
    I just knocked out the A+ 2 weeks ago and the Network+ yesterday. I had been studying for a couple of months for both. My methods were pretty much this:

-Read through book while occasionally watching Professor Messer videos on some topics.
    (Prowse's ExamCram for the 800 series, Lammle's Network+ Study Guide)
    -Take practice/evaluation tests. Write down questions I missed, re-study those topics in the book and online.
    -Take more practice tests I found online, and again going over everything I miss until I consistently could answer almost everything.

Know the OSI and TCP/IP model. Know the troubleshooting methodology, cable specifications, wireless specifications, and all the tools you can use. Know what every acronym is and what it's used for in troubleshooting, because most of your answer choices are just gonna be a list of acronyms.

Thanks for that helpful info!

What book did you use? I have a 3 year old Network+ book I used for a college class right before I got my AS degree, and was wondering if that would still be relevant or not.
  • JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the one I used:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam N10-005: Todd Lammle: 9781118137550: Amazon.com: Books

I actually got the deluxe one with the network simulator software which was a waste because I never even used it.
  • knahknah Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed today. I'm currently paying for the individual CBT Nuggets subscription. I think it's very good, but, since it's sub based, your value will depend on how quickly you get through it. It helps that if you watch on your computer you can speed up the videos--I usually watch them at 1.5-2.0x, as it saves time and keeps them more interesting.

I didn't use Lammle's book to study, but have heard great things about Lammle's materials for both Network+ and Cisco.

I think the best method of studying is to reinforce what you read with labs, either with real equipment or simulated, but maybe you already have enough hands on experience where that wouldn't benefit you. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any lab books for Network+ because the labs I did were for CCNA classes I'm taking (would be overkill for Net+). I also like to make flashcards out of the important little tidbits of information as I read through books (I'm not patient enough to sit down and make them all at once while reviewing).

Good luck!