Testing on CEH 16 Aug 13

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
After a few weeks of putting off my CEH exam, I finally dropped the $600 (!!!!) this morning and will register for my exam to be taken on Friday. I've been studying on and off since April using the Official Review Guide, Matt Walker's AIO and AIO practice questions, the tools discussed, CBT nuggets, and my reviewing of previous studying materials (mostly standardized and static things like physical security, OSI model, ports, encryption, etc.) CEH is required for my continued employment (although I do have until October to get it) and I look forward to completing this cert. I'll be testing at a VUE testing site Friday around 11am and will be sure to let you know as to my results. I'll be sure to post my study habits should I pass! Thanks all!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Good luck, bro! Are you going for V7 or V8? I'm studying for V7 myself and hope to sit for the exam in mid September.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Isn't only v8 available now?
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all!

Just registered for and testing on version 7.1 as it is still available until October, iirc.

My application had been approved for a while and I had a year to pay. Called EC-Council this morning and paid over the phone. The tech told me they usually distribute their vouchers around 3:30-4:30 mountain and sure enough, got my voucher and eligibility code during that window. The voucher 'waives' the $500 required from VUE/Prometric and the eligibility code is required by the testing center the day of the test (this is used to verify that your application/eligibility is valid with EC-Council').

Scheduled for 11am via VUE testing center.

ill be sure to let you all know how I do!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Good Luck. Just scheduled mine for Aug. 26th at noon.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been studying for this exam for a month now but for some reason I'm not as motivated as usual. Any recommendation?
  • zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    I'm ready to hear the results! I'm excited for you!
    Sorry for the late reply, my wife went with me to the testing center and wanted to go shopping afterwards!

I passed with an 88%!

The test was, in my opinion, in line with the AIO practice questions from both the book and practice question book. Nothing was too outlandish or overly technical in my opinion. It seemed to me that either the author wasn't a native writer of English or that the questions were translated previously.

Most questions to me seemed to be of a basic level/understand of hacking methodology, resources, and potential scenarios.

I studied for the test by reading the official review exam guide side by side with Matt Walker's AIO. Since the official review guide is way more concise and straight to the point, I would read that as a primer for the AIO's in depth and thorough writings. I read through both, side by side at the same time (IE - this chapter in this book pertains to this in the other book) and when doing so, made notes as to things I wasn't familiar or comfortable with.

On the second time around, I acknowledged and reviewed what it was that I already felt comfortable with and went through the unfamiliar topics, tools, etc over and over until I felt comfortable with them. Some things I just had to commit to memory, like the nmap operators, which I ended up memorizing by just writing them down about 30 times each as how Matt Walker's AIO book had presented them.

Luckily I have had some experience with some of the tools and some of the material should be recognizable to anyone who has put forth any honest effort towards IT security studies. Static and easy to identify topics such as physical security, port numbers, etc will definitely help as those questions can be surefire gimmes if you know them.

Glad that is over with, my 2nd cert this year after Security+ back in March. I will be putting forth all my attention and study efforts towards CCNA as my scheduled test exam for that is 27 Sept 13!

~J
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on the pass jvrlopez!

I have a question--if the CEH was not required for your job, would you still have pursued it? Reason being is I like you have my S+ and a few months ago I was considering the CEH (for fun) but after reading the official study guide (and it being only slightly more technical than the S+, I didn't find much I didn't know already...) and how much it costs, I don't think I will bother with it.
    Thanks for the praise!

Funny you should ask about whether or not I think it's worthwhile as I had the same discussion with a friend of mine yesterday.

If I didn't need it for my job, I wouldn't have bothered with it. $600 is a lot of bread and I felt the material was, for the most part, well known or obvious. I'd put forth the time, effort, and funds towards another cert if you could.

Also, seeing as the cert jumped from $250ish to $600 once CEH became part of the DoD 8570 initiative, their lackluster customer service, and how the questions were poorly written/presented makes me wonder as to their priorities.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks for your thoughts and congrats on the pass again! icon_cheers.gif
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Now you guys have me wondering...hmmm, I want to take this exam because I'm interested in the subject matter and I think having "C|EH" as apart of my name on Linkedin would look pretty friggin sweet (lol). The cost of the exam is what has me feeling a bit reluctant about it. Coming up with 600 bones is painful to think about, not to mention I'm not necessarily trying to become a pen tester. Seems interesting though, but I'm enjoying my Infosec Analyst role at the moment. My job isn't reimbursing me...(Though they are paying for me to attend GSEC training/exam next year, you can't win them all :) and I have no plans to leave my current company (Love it here!)...Although I have always wanted to work for the gov't doing IT security and think this exam/title will help with that pursuit down the road. Decisions, Decisions. I really am enjoying Matt Walker's AIO book. I think i'm gonna continue studying and go for it, even if I don't see positive returns at the immediate moment. This would be my third (and Final!) cert this year. I tried to do the whole CCNA thing, but that ish is hella boring. I'm just a IT security guy through and through.
  • osaigbovoosaigbovo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its pretty tough trying to prepare for the CEH exams within two weeks. at the moment my work schedule provides little time for me to study. please can you provide me with essential tipps that will help me pass the exam.

thank you,

R