Options

Displaying Network Monitoring

krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
The business folks here think it would be a good idea to get a couple TV's mounted and display some "shiny IT related tables, charts and graphs". In our shop we primarily use cacti and Nagios for monitoring. Does anyone have these types of displays for the public/customers? Preferably that run on top of these two solutions, but they don't have to. What do you use to make a decent display for the public? It would be nice if us IT folks could get some benefit out of them, but if not I just need something to put up on these displays.
2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of our talented Sr. Engineers setup cacti/nagios stuff on large displays in our workspace. We have a map of our network that shows link utilization in realtime. We also have monitoring for each of our remote branches and email availability. Another monitor is used for active alerts. It's all a mix of icinga, cacti and nagios. Real life saver if you ask me, nice real time alerting.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From an InfoSec standpoint, that seems like a horrible idea. You don't want to broadcast your internal network information to public facing customers. If your showing very limited information then maybe, but if your showing IP addresses, topologies, locations of routers/switches/servers, etc...probably not the best idea.

However, if you wanted something like this for the IT team and/or internal clients that have access/use your internal network, then I don't think it's any big deal.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I could see there being security issues. However, I wouldnt be showing anything that could cause a security concern. I'd imagine the information would be generalized in a sense. For example maybe I had some type of graph showing how saturated a link is between two routers. I can show the percentages without having to put the IP addresses and SSH password up on the screen.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had set something like this up a while back but it was for me, not public eyes. I modeled it after this:
    Create an LCD Network Monitor using Opsview, Nagios and Nagvis - Spiceworks

All I really had was up/down status for servers and router int's.