Passed CCNA:R&S - Security+ worth it?

MouseCatcherMouseCatcher Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all. I recently passed my CCNA: R&S exam.

At this point, is it worth it to get the Security+? Would that be kind of going backwards down the slope of certs? As an employer, would you see more stock in something like CCNA: Security, or a Security+?

What're your thoughts?

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the CCNA credential. Security+ is worth it for marketing purposes, IMO.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ is almost mandatory if you want to have anything to do IT related with the DoD.

Just something to consider.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass.

I agree with YFZblue and jvrlopez that the Security+ is worthwhile. It's more recognized by hiring managers than the CCNA: R&S and clearly implies you have "security" knowledge which is increasingly important to more and more companies.

This page (DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program) lists the certs required for different DoD IAT Levels alluded to by jvrlopez. Security+ is listed a couple of times but CCNA: R&S is not on the list.
  • wlind9999wlind9999 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends if you are not planning on going on DoD contracts then go for your CCNP next. However I am finding that for some odd reason which probably has something to do with an officer getting a cushy gig with CompTIA upon retirement that you need a Sec+ for anything DoD. I believe it was the 2011 or 12 time frame when a CCNA trumped a Sec+ for your level II. Right now I am working on my Sec+ only so I can go on DoD contracts. Honestly if you are not looking for that as I said earlier going with high level Cisco certs would be the wiser choice.