Critique my Resume, Please!

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
Just like the title says... I need a resume critique please. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I know the format is a bit unorthodox, so please let me know if you think the format will turn-off potential employers. Thanks!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Haven't you attended the transition services for your branch if your getting out? They will give all the advice you need for structure and military translation.

How many years experience do you have? Depending amount of experience will generally dictate the format you want to use like chronological and so on.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    looks pretty damn good to me
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    thanks gbdavidx.

da_vato..I have attended the TAPS class, but sometimes the advice you get there isn't always the best. The classes are taught by E7+ that have been in the Navy 15+ years and have never actually had to look for a civilian job, so how can they be the best people to teach a transition class if they have never actually made the transition... I never understood that.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    WOW! that is way different than the Army. When I attended TAPS everyone in the center was a civilian and the people teaching the class had a wierd requirement... there were supposed to search for a job every six months, the whole deal including interviews... I thought that was crazy but it made sense in that how are you going to teach someone job searching skills if you haven't done it or done it many many years. Plus these people were the masters at translating Military jargon to civilian terms.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not a fan of the layout. I'd also do away with the 'Technology Summary' section. If you worked with these technologies then tell me how in the experience section. A wall of words does nothing to show your expertise. Anyone can list key words. Also listing things like SSH is very amateurish in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Thanks for the advice networker. The only problem I have is that if i remove the technology summary there is no way I can elaborate on how I used all of those technologies and still keep the resume to one page. I will remove SSH and ACLs for sure though, because you're right, they are a bit cheesy.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you get rid of the sidebar (nix the 'Key Skills' as well) and work on the format a bit you can fit it in there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tombosaucetombosauce Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with networker. I'd get rid of the "key skills" section and work the important parts of the "Technology Summary" into your experience block.

On your clearance section, did you just remove what your actual clearance is when you posted it? There's no such thing as a general "DoD Active Clearance". Put active SECRET, TOP SECRET, SCI, etc. If you've taken a polygraph, put that on there too.

Under the "Industry Certifications" you have "Security + ce" It looks like the "ce" was a typo.

Was your A.S. a part of your B.S. degree? Others may disagree, but if it is, I'd recommend just putting the B.S. on there. The A.S. doesn't add a whole lot, and deleting it will free more space to add to your experience section.

Where did you go through TAP class? The Air Force and Navy programs I went through were civilian led. Our pre-TAP class was led by military personnel, but it was just administrative work getting you set up for the actual TAP.
    I went through here in Jacksonville. The reason it just says Active, is because on these forums about a month ago, I was advised to remove the actual level of clearance I have from the resume.. ugh. My A.S. was not part of my B.S. degree. They were different programs at different schools.