Options

NTP Server question

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
Hey guys, we had a power outage at one of our sites and now some of the servers are displaying different times. I ran the w32t query on 3 random servers and they are each getting their time from different sources. Is there a way to make one server the default NTP server or do i have to got to each server and disable the current one and reconfig with the new if i set one up?

Also, what do you recommend to use as NTP server? FW? Router? i was thinking PDC.

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Generally I will have all look to one server on my network (PDC is usually a good one ). The main I'd pull from a variety of sources out on the net (nist,ntp,isp).

That way if the sync is wrong you really only have to update on one machine
  • Options
    How do i change the current ones to use the new one instead of the ones they are currently using?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Push out a GPO.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    theres only 1 server that is off... its getting its time from "VM IC Time Service Provider"

is that the Hyper V time synch?
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    We use a GPS clocking device, and all servers point to the core switch to get there time.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use external facing network device to pick up NTP from external sources (some of the institutes we work with have atomic clocks we can use, so dont have to use public, other wise pool.ntp.org: the internet cluster of ntp servers is a good place to go)

then the external routers feed the internal network devices, and the rest runs of that.

I could make it simple but I like the structure and find with lots of changes going on it is a bit easier to manage.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.