Options

CLI online simulator

QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work Night shift and would love to be able to practice the commands during my downtime at work. I believe I saw somewhere before, of a website that allows you to practice the commands without having to download any of the simulators (which I have on my computers). Does anyone of a website with this feature for CCNA? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Packetlife.net has a free lab you can schedule time on to practice.

Simulators are OK, but no substitute for the real thing.

An alternative with real hardware would be to get a couple of quiet devices to use (ie: fanless) like the 1750 series router (IOS 12.4T capable) + WIC-1T + WIC-4ESW modules, a 850 series router (IOS 15.x capable) with built in switch module, or a 2940/2950 8-port switch. All reasonably portable, reasonably priced and quiet.:)

The software alternative is always GNS3.
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I saw a cisco 851 router on ebay for about $50 I think, looks like you could probably use that with GNS3. I could be wrong but that would be a good way to do it. I have friends who are CCNP and have used GNS3 for all of their studies, they may have one actual router with it. May be other online labs you can use also.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    like the 1750 series router (IOS 12.4T capable)

Just a note, according to CFN the 1750 only supports 12.3 (12.4T requires 96 MB of RAM and the 1750 maxes out at 48 MB). The 1751 will take 12.4T. Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise [according to Cisco] require 160 MB and the 1751 maxes out at 128 MB, but I have read where some people have said they were able to get Advanced Enterprise running on 128 MB of RAM, even though Cisco says it needs 160 MB. The 1760 takes up to 192 MB of RAM and will run all 12.4T Packages no problem. It's not fanless, but its not 2811 loud either. 1700 Series RAM is cheap ($6.43 from SC, $6.50 from CA). So, there's really no reason not to max 'em out. Just don't buy it from China. It's only 13 cents more from a reliable source in South Carolina.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol the poster is looking for something that simulates the commands of the IOS that he/she can use when there is downtime at work. Yes, there is obviously no alternative to experience with actual equipment, but something tells me he/she is not going to haul a home lab into work for studying.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep an eye on Cisco virl, it's supposed to be released early next year. And my understanding is there will be a cloud based offering suitable for a lab.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pamccabe wrote: »
    lol the poster is looking for something that simulates the commands of the IOS that he/she can use when there is downtime at work. Yes, there is obviously no alternative to experience with actual equipment, but something tells me he/she is not going to haul a home lab into work for studying.

For that, GNS3 or Packet Tracer is what I use. I have both installed on my laptop and can practice with them when I'm not at home. I tend to prefer PT since its faster and I can simulate hosts without having to use a VM (I use Linux or Windows 9x/2000 in VBox with GNS3 to save on resources). But, OTOH [at the CCNP Level] I'm running into more and more commands Packet Tracer doesn't support.

GNS3 also has problems with the Console port locking up ("Connection Refused"). I had one topology where I was redistributing two other routing protocols into OSPF. EIGRP would converge and redistribute its routes into OSPF. Then, all the sudden on one of the OSPF Routers, I'd see "Dead Timer Expired" and the OSPF Routers would start dropping like flies. It did this every time.

As for online, I don't know of any. But, It would definitely be doable.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your responses. I believe Packetlife.net is the closest to what I am looking for. I do already have PT installed on my labtop at home. Hopefully someone can come up with an online sim someday haha.
  • Options
    CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would it be possible to keep your laptop on at home (I'm assuming you can't take your laptop with you or you'd use that at work) and use something like LogMeIn to access PT on your laptop at home? Kinda browser based.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]