How nice is this from our ISP?

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
We have been discussing with our ISP about getting a second link to our main site. So far its all been about installing a second 1gig bearer with a 100mb cap on it to match the first.

So was rather happy when they said they would remove the 100mb cap and give us the full 1gig on both links for the same cost we are currently paying per link. A 10X increase at no extra cost! this is why I love working in academic institutes. Plus i have been meaning to use BGP in anger on a live network so I get to play setting up that up as well :)
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Make sure your only configuring BGP load balancing during peek hours! ;)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was thinking I uses link A, every thing and every one else through link B ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice indeed. icon_cheers.gif

Although, as the resident skeptic, make sure you check the invoice for hidden charges next month. icon_silent.gif
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We recently had our backup 10Mb connection raised to 1gig for only 1k more a month. It's going to now become out main pipe out rest assured lol :)
    paul78 wrote: »

Although, as the resident skeptic, make sure you check the invoice for hidden charges next month. icon_silent.gif

Ahh that happens when you use commercial ISP's, academic networks with government backing are so much more transparent :). They basically said, "we have lots of head room on he backbone now we have completed the upgrade to it so there's no point in throttling your link any more." There view is if they have the bandwidth it needs to be used, they just want it filled, not interested in squeezing universities and schools for more money.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I was thinking I uses link A, every thing and every one else through link B ;)

My first thought.

Nice when ISP's do this though.
  • TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    May I ask the name of your ISP?
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »

+1 for this... Our ISP billing is chronically incorrect.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    TBev0 wrote: »
    May I ask the name of your ISP?

We run of the UK Research and education network, so only open to universities and research institutes.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Plus i have been meaning to use BGP in anger on a live network so I get to play setting up that up as well :)

Am I missing something or does this mean you want to be angry and configure BGP at the same time?...because if you like I can make fun of your mum and send you a GNS3 lab
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Am I missing something or does this mean you want to be angry and configure BGP at the same time?...because if you like I can make fun of your mum and send you a GNS3 lab

Its ok I got plenty of GNS3 labs thank you :)