Options

Is it worth the qualification?

sh3llc00persh3llc00per Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've been in a System Administrator/Desktop support role for the past 8 years. I have the Network+ Certification but would like to begin acquiring some more. Do you think it is work going for the 70-860? Or is it worth going for the Security+ or down the MSCE 2012 route? I'm not sure.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    My first thought: Spend some time thinking about why you are thinking of certification. Money? Promotion? Your work getting too easy? Skills getting outdated? You want to expand your professional horizons? ... I'll bet you can answer the questions you posed when you understand your motivations better.

Preparing for certification takes time and discipline regardless of how it is done -- whether through a class or through independent learning. There will be times that you will wonder why you are working so hard -- or at the worst moments after you have failed an exam, wonder if it is worth it -- that's when you'll need to come back to your "core" reasons.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I highly recommend the MCSA: Windows 7 certification. It doesn't expire, and Windows 7 is going to be around for a long time. Also, you can upgrade to MCSA: Windows 8 in the future with a single exam if Win8 ever catches on in the corporate/enterprise environment. (highly doubtful)

I think you should ALSO pursue MCSA: Server 2012. This is the foundation for all of the MCSE certifications and is mandatory if you choose to go that route.

For an established systems administrator, I don't think the CompTIA certs are going to help your resume all that much. Microsoft, Linux, VMware, Citrix, storage technologies, etc should be your goal.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    oranksoranks Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Srabiee has said it all.Im right behind you. passed 70-680 working on 70-685. Then off to server 2012 or CCNA