Options

Testing L2 Connectivity In A Data Centre/ Naming COnvention Of Line Cards

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
Dear guys,

I am currently working in a data centre and I am experiencing some trouble.

The switch connectivity for my test bed is haywire. Since they are switches, they are L2 and I cannot ping to test connectivity. What should I do in this case? Visual fault locator are too expensive for me.

Secondly, I understand that the naming convention for my equipment are chasis/slot/module/port. As far as I know, the chasis and module are always zero. Are there any situations where the chasis or module are not zero. If so, pls give example. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What model switches are you working with? Are you asking where 0/1/0/1 is physically on the chassis?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    asrivastava0202asrivastava0202 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you cab assign IP address to VLAN 1 on each switch and test the connectivity ...
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    What model switches are you working with? Are you asking where 0/1/0/1 is physically on the chassis?

ASR9000 series. However, the chasis number and the module number is always zero which I never unbderstand why.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    You can cluster the chassis and there is your 1/0/0/0, so two chassis.

Depending on the line card the module will change. For example if you have a MOD80 with 2 MPA's in then the module number will be different.

1/3/1/5
    Chassis 1, slot 3 (MOD80), module 1 (MPA), port 5.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    Hi!
    The correct answer I got from my senior is to use the show mac-address dynamic command to see if mac addresses have been learnt. SVI not necessary at L2.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wait.
    You're working on an ASR 9000 series switch, on a test bed, and a visual fault locator is too expensive?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams