Options

So what has people done next after obtaining the CCNA?

craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
as the title suggests what have you done? i was sorta thinking CCNA Security>CCNP? or should it be done the otherway CCNP>CCNA Security?

Thanks
Currently Studying: CCNP Security
300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
300-208 - TBC
300-210 - TBC

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Getting experience, if you don't already have a job in the field, comes first.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think experience is the next big step like MoP stated. I don't know your situation but if you are looking to cert your way into the field it's just not going to happen (usually).
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After I got my CCNA I started studying for CCNP right away. During that time I started applying for networking jobs and got my first networking gig 2 months after passing CCNA.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am gonna agree and get experience, most environments operate very differently than you expect, I think its better to get into an environment where you can learn CCNA/Experience > CCNP/without Experience
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd definitely seek experience in the field, but also keep studying. I'd say go for CCNA Security and Voice next..because these days companies are looking for Network Engineers that have skills in these 3 subsets...and if you think about it..they are critical to modern day networks..especially VoIP.

My .2
    2015 Certification Goals:
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    As everyone said -- Go get experience!

However, I'd also strongly reccommend the CCDA. Its really dry and boring material to get through, however businesses see a huge plus in hiring a person that can design, deploy, and troubleshoot networks. The CCNA/CCDA combination pretty much covers those goals.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After I got my CCNA I started looking for work.
  • Options
    politenessmanpolitenessman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What to do next is a question that I have been over-thinking for a while.
    I think experience goes without saying, but if I have free time I will use it constructively. I'm deep into trying find a new position at the moment, (switching careers from sales back into engineering) however, while that is going on, I can still work on my certifications.
    So after the CCNA do I attempt:
    • CCNA Security - seems like a lot of people think this is the next step.
    • CCDA - I have an interest in design so this appeals to me but I'm not sure how marketable this makes me
    • Microsoft certs - I see them often listed in job descriptions everywhere
    • CompTIA Net+ - no need once you have the CCNA?
    • CCNP - direct to the CCNP, any downside?
    • Linux - I'm a linux user so I have some baseline linux experience. I should capitalize on it.
    No reason why I should stop working on this just because I am job hunting, right?
    Any thoughts?
    Right now I am leaning towards some MS certs, and then the CCNA security.
    Currently working on CompTIA Linux+
    Hoping to get CCNA: Sec (640-554) and CCNA:R&S (640-816) next year.
    Watch my progress at http://tonypickett.com
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting experience, if you don't already have a job in the field, comes first.

Yup! This choice leads to maximum profitability, and will help you find the path you enjoy.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Get some experience.

while doing that I'd tackle CCNA:Security it should be easier than the CCNA and covers what I consider basic network security. firewall configurations VPNs SSH and so forth.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Agree with the posters above. You are much more likely to get hired with just CCNA and couple years of experience than with CCNP or CCNA with specialization but no experience.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been thinking about this for a bit too. Got my CCNA earlier this month, but before that, luckily landed a NOC job with just my CCENT. Now that I started the job and see how invaluable the experience is, I agree with the posters above about finding a job. With a CCNA, I would think you can find a job. Even an entry level NOC job like I have, anything would be beneficial to your career right now. Once you find that, then onward to the next cert. I've been asking different forums, and even the Cisco IRC channel. Overwhelmingly, I've been told to start on the CCNP. Even with an entry level job, experience plus a CCNP would look very good. From what I've been told, the specializations are great, but seem to be a focus for a particular field, such as security or voice. If you want to get them for the overall experience, I say go for it, but after the CCNP. Just my .02 cents from the advise I've been getting.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working on my CCNP (ROUTE) right now. Experience is obviously helpful, but landing a job might take a while. I looked on Monster just after finishing my CCNA and there was ONLY ONE job [in my area] looking for a CCNA and they also wanted all kinds of other certs also (M$, VMWare, etc...) That's fine since I want out of this area anyways. There is no sense in stopping your studies and letting your knowledge/skills erode. Plus, each additional exam you pass will renew your CCNA.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    I have previous expereince in other jobs for cisco, i am just changing to a new job which uses Cisco equipment a bit more :), i start next monday just not sure at what level they are working towards
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC