Options

Tips on test questions and practicing?

chief120chief120 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
In the past year and a half I have passed 70-646 and failed 70-640 and 70-642 each twice. I studied with a Microsoft ebook from a Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2 skill update boot camp, Transcenders, and Pearson Cert Guide 70-642.

I have a couple of frustrations. First, the actual certification test questions are about 50 words long at best and therefore makes choosing the best answer harder. “Hmm…the question didn’t explicitly say they did steps 1, 2, and 3 so therefore the answer could be A. But if the test author assumes they correctly did steps 1, 2, and 3 then the answer is C. But if they did steps 1 and 3 but skipped 2 then the answer is E. Which do I choose?” By comparison the Transcender test questions are about 100-200 words long and as such will give you a fuller understanding of the network and a better chance to choose the right answer.

How do you approach the test questions? Do you assume the test question author setup everything right or do you assume they don’t mention doing a task because they didn’t do it?

Second, many users recommend setting up a lab environment at home. My question is: what do you use as a lab manual? I think another user said MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (0735651604) has a lab section at the end of each chapter. Can anyone confirm that?

Comments

• Options
    MrBigglesworthMrBigglesworth Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed 642 with a 500, but was busting 90-100% on the Transcenders. I made sure I read every explanation. I was extremely upset that the actual test had extremely short questions and asked in a format that was entirely foreign to the Transcenders. I used the 6421B from "Microsoft Official Course" and considering how the test went, the book doesnt really touch on what is required for testing. I am not happy. Im looking into the Don Poulton book to study on the side but I dont even want to look in the direction of this test for a few months I am so mad.