Recertification Requirements?

CodyFCodyF Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!
I was wondering if someone could point me toward CompTIA's recertification requirements? I know they changed the certs from a lifetime certification to a 3-year one, but that's about it. I remember reading somewhere that there is a continuing education program, and that you can apparently recertify by taking other, more advanced certifications. I have no idea where I read it, though it was on CompTIA's website.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you took the flagship certs (A+, NET+, and SEC+) before the deadline of January 1, 2011 you were grandfathered. I took mine before they switched, and all of mine are still lifetime.

See the excerpt below from WikiPedia:

For over ten years, CompTIA marketed its flagship A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications as being valid for a lifetime. In January 2011, however, CompTIA changed the status of these certifications so that they would expire every three years. Under this proposal, certified individuals would have to re-sit for the exams or pay a yearly maintenance fee for a CEU (Continuing Education Units) system.[32] Some certified members felt that this action breached the conditions of the original contract with CompTIA, and that the change effectively showed CompTIA reneging on a deal. Less than a month after making this announcement, CompTIA reversed its decision. Under the new policy, only certificates received after January 1, 2011 will need to be renewed every 3 years; however, a certain amount of documented hours geared towards use of the certification will automatically renew the certification
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just had to go through the process of getting mine updated. I showed proof that I had obtained the MCSE for Private Cloud and it was updated. Now I just have to pay the yearly fees.
  • CodyFCodyF Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Tech!
    How do you actually recertify, though? There are a bunch of sites yelling "CompTIA has a Continuing Ed. program!). But no one actually has any information on how to recertify, other than just taking the tests again.
  • CodyFCodyF Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I just had to go through the process of getting mine updated. I showed proof that I had obtained the MCSE for Private Cloud and it was updated. Now I just have to pay the yearly fees.

Thanks!I heard this was possible, but I can't find the list of certifications that allow you to do this. I finally found CompTIA's official recertification policy, but it didn't help.

Certification Renewal Policy
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can find more info by checking your account here.

https://www.certmetrics.com/comptia/login.aspx
    You should have made an account there once you were certified.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CodyF wrote: »
    Thanks Tech!
    How do you actually recertify, though? There are a bunch of sites yelling "CompTIA has a Continuing Ed. program!). But no one actually has any information on how to recertify, other than just taking the tests again.

Try this:

Top 10 FAQs in CompTIA
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    The top 10 FAQs in CompTIA posted by TechGuy215 is a great link. You might also like to check out this page CompTIA Continuing Education Program which includes an introduction and links to just about everything you need.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's the list of certifications that fulfill the renewal requirements:
    CE Program: Renewing Through Other Certifications
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's not too bad of a process. Also if you cross into Cisco for example and start completing Security exams you can renew everything at that same level and below for Cisco and net+/sec+.