My observations of the Security+ exam

rkholmesrkholmes Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed with a score of 836.

Exam took 35 minutes.

I only marked 6 or 7 questions for review. Otherwise I knew the answer when I read the question. No deliberation was required on my part.

My study materials included:

Microsoft's Security+ Training Kit (book)
the tech notes from this site
the practice exams from this site

Conclusion: I probably spent less than 20 hours actively studying.
The exam was either really easy or I just knew the material.

Comments

• jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    nice job and thank you for the review..........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • lananc1lananc1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I find it really interesting how some say this test was easy and then most say it was not. I guess maybe it depends on the intelligence level of the test taker. To some of us things come a bit more difficult. I cant say how much time I spent studying, and I just missed passing. And when its all done, I'll forget most of it! Hey, maybe its my age, who knows. Well, congrats to you, and if this one was easy for you, you better keep going!!
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!
    lananc1 wrote:
    I find it really interesting how some say this test was easy and then most say it was not. I guess maybe it depends on the intelligence level of the test taker. To some of us things come a bit more difficult. I cant say how much time I spent studying, and I just missed passing. And when its all done, I'll forget most of it! Hey, maybe its my age, who knows. Well, congrats to you, and if this one was easy for you, you better keep going!!

He could have experience in the field. Or he could just comprehend the material quicker than some people. It just depends on the person, but I definitely don't think it's your age. It takes me a long time to understand something that I don't do a lot of hands on practice with.

Keep it up, you'll get it next time icon_cool.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think age does have some bearing on things. When you get old and crotchety like me you are more likely to handle exams that have questions that are factual and correct and less likely to figure out questions that are "which of the 3 correct answers is most correct' icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

I'm taking Sec+ first week in January, let's see how I do icon_smile.gif
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great
  • princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    DarklyWise wrote:
    Congrats on the pass.

I'm taking Sec+ first week in January, let's see how I do icon_smile.gif

I wish you success in your coming exams.

I think on my side i always do need to know it well with a lot of hands-on, otherwise i will not have the courage it takes to take the exam. I have already booked myself for the exams in the last week of March 2006.
    Knowledge is life
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Congratulations!

- Hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps, I'm taking it in early Jan.
  • mvastarellimvastarelli Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

I've been meaning to take the security+ test myself, but I've been holding out because I'm not 100% sure I'm ready. I've read the book (Security+ prep by syngress), and I consistently score in the 80-85% range with the prep-logic tests. But the mixed reviews on the difficulty of this test has me hesitent.
    CompTIA Tests: 220-301, 220-302, N10-003, SY0-101
    Microsoft Tests: 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-536, 70-526, 70-502