Options

Perm vs. Temp - Anyone from Boston-area?

SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
I don't think most people would take temporary work over "permanent" willingly. That being said, I am making a career change and have no formal IT experience. Most postings in the Boston-area are seeking at least 1-2 years of experience. As of right now, I have a BS (unrelated, Kinesiology), just finished my A+, working on Network+, and will be enrolling in a BSIT program within the month. I was thinking that I may stand a better chance with a Robert Half, TechNeeds, or other temp. agencies.

Does anyone have any suggestions specific to the Boston-area, or just in general?

Also, I have seen mention of people listing certifications that they are working on in their resume. Do any of you do that?

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SteveFT wrote: »
    Also, I have seen mention of people listing certifications that they are working on in their resume. Do any of you do that?

You can bring this up in an interview but I wouldn’t list it on your resume – with possibly the only exception being multi test certs (like the CCNP, CCNP:Voice, and so on), but even then only if you are most of the way done (2 out of 3 done, and so on) and can provide an anticipated completion date (I personally don’t like doing this).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think most people would take temporary work over "permanent" willingly.

Prefer temp/contract work vs. perm. Pay's usually much better.

Please don't do that.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    maybe if the money is right!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have listed certifications I was working on in my resume. I know for a fact having an in progress certification helped me land an interview on one occasion. Make sure it is clear that it is in progress though. I have seen plenty job postings that say they are seeking someone that is pursuing a CCIE. How would they know if you didn't put it on your resume? I wouldn't put something like A+ in progress, but if it is a multi exam certification or something high level I don't think it hurts.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.