Options

HR "Keywords"

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was thinking (no jokes please) today, after reading here and else ware that the hiring process often begins with a non-technical HR person sifting/sorting through all the applicants. They often look at resumes or possibly use software to sort resumes looking for key words like "CCNA", "Comptia A+", "MCSA" etc...

I then begun to think that for someone looking to gain an entry level position, it would probably make the most sense to attain the certs that are most often used as a key word as opposed to one that is lesser known (even if that lesser known cert has more technical merit). For example, if I were to add CCNA, MCSA and A+ to my resume it would probably get more looks than "CISP", "MCITP" and "JNCIA" right? I know its not apples to apples, just for the sake of this thread i used them...

Im pretty new to the entire IT field, so I thought I'd ask the TE community. What appears to be the most popular keywords? My list contains the usual: CCNA, A+, MCSA

Are there others that someone like me should consider? Speaking from a "get my resume noticed more" perspective.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It depends on the company if some HR person is going to be the one looking at resumes. HR doesn't look at the resumes before the hiring manager where I work now, but I have worked at some places that do have recruiters that work in HR that find applicants. It all depends on the company.

What keywords are popular depends on the job. MCSA isn't going to be searched for at all if you are going for a networking role for example.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So its probably not that advantageous too be concerned with matching keywords on resumes?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You want to make sure you have the key word when you post your resume on the job boards. That's how the recruiters are going to be scanning.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So, if you have a pool of certs under your belt...tailor the resume to the job you apply for. Gotcha!
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard of individuals copying and pasting the job description that they are applying for at the end of their resume and turning all that font white to hide it when uploading their resume to the job posting.

Supposedly this helps in HR picking out your resume since it matches.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna