Yikes!

So I just started my new job and my boss told me today that I have until December 2nd to complete all three exams for the MCITP: Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646). I haven't even started studying and I have only 3 months for 3 tough exams?

Does anyone have any tips or maybe advice on a game plan? I do have a CBT nuggets subscription but I'm not sure if that will be enough to prepare.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    So I just started my new job and my boss told me today that I have until December 2nd to complete all three exams for the MCITP: Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646). I haven't even started studying and I have only 3 months for 3 tough exams?

Does anyone have any tips or maybe advice on a game plan? I do have a CBT nuggets subscription but I'm not sure if that will be enough to prepare.

Any help is appreciated!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42947-70-642-resources.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/91690-my-70-646-notes.html

This is the best that I could find. I see some claims that technet is all you really need.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've got 13 weeks left until December 2nd. 4 to 5 weeks for 70-640 & 70-642 each should be doable. Then the remaining for 70-646 which is a review of the previous exams with a little bit extra added on.

TechNet, CBT Nuggets & R2 books should see you through. It's very similar to Microsoft's MCSA-in-90-day challenge for Server 2012.

Get in to the frame of mind that "This is possible" I just need to find "how" then you will be fine. If you view it as impossible, you'll damage your chances from the start.

Good luck with your challenge, I'm sure you will do fine! Keep us updated!
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    It took me 3 1/2 weeks to study and pass 70-646. 70-642 took me about a month or so, but I had a lot of experience with DHCP and networking already. 70-640 took me about 5 months, but it was really only about 2 months of actual buckled down studying. The other 4 months were very sporadic as I had started a brand new job that was much more involved than my previous job.

End result is that if you are devoting 3-4 hours a night to study, and you are getting hands-on experience with it as well, anybody can pass all 3 in 3 months. I definitely recommend taking them in the regular order, as 70-646 will be much easier if you've passed the other two already. It's more of a case study application of all the information you learned in the others, with lots of repetition.

Good luck, and don't forget to ask for help on the boards here! Tons of people are ready to lend a hand and answer questions!
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did the CBT nuggets + transcender 1 year sub package and found it very good but not quite complete. I did find the Technet articles covered most of what CBT missed or I needed a more in depth explanation. Also, Second Shot is back so be sure to use it wisely and dont feel like you have to over prepare for your first attempt.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Dedicate 4 hours per day and you should get it done in 2 months even (that is every day, 7 days a week).

70-640 is the most difficult of the 3, so spend 4 weeks on that one. Others 2 weeks each.

CBT Nuggets + practice exams + Home lab
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I started on the CBT nuggets and I will really start grinding Tuesday night. I'll keep this thread updated as sort of a "study journal".
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Was this expectation laid out to you in the interview? Good luck. That seems like a very tight window with no room for error.
    Actually I was told when I signed my employment agreement that I had 6 months to complete these exams. My boss decided that 3 months was enough time, I guess.... Oh well, I need these 3 exams for my degree at WGU so I guess this is the motivation I need to finish school faster
  • GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually I was told when I signed my employment agreement that I had 6 months to complete these exams. My boss decided that 3 months was enough time, I guess.... Oh well, I need these 3 exams for my degree at WGU so I guess this is the motivation I need to finish school faster

I see two issues here. One, if your written agreement says 6 months, then you get 6 months. He can't ding you in a performance review if you don't have them done before the 6 month mark.

2. If you play along with the 3 month plan, your boss needs to be giving you 1-2 hours a day out of your work schedule to study for these. It is entirely unrealistic to expect someone to cram on their own to meet an arbitrary deadline, when a deadline is already agreed upon.

and 3... is the 6 month window in writing, or a policy somewhere? What about the 3 month?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    The 6 month agreement is actually in writing and I signed it upon being hired. I know, it seems a little "shady" to me too but I'm trying to look on the positive side of things. If it doesn't work out I'll just bust out my employment agreement and show him I suppose.
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That does seem like a rather tight schedule to stick to; it doesn't leave you with much time to schedule retakes in the event of a failure. I haven't studied for 70-642 or 70-646 so I don't know how much time they need, but you could quite easily spend three months on 70-640 if the material is new to you. I suppose it depends on how good your prior knowledge is of the exam topics. Six months would be a much more reasonable timescale to aim for, in my opinion.

Regardless of that, I wish you the best of luck!
  • KoldKold Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I'm in a similar boat, although my time limit is self imposed! I'm trying to crank through all 3 in 3 months so that I can graduate in 2 terms from WGU. Keep us updated with your progress.
  • its so simpleits so simple Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to do the same thing (without the boss requirement). Is it worth buying the Collection 6425C to pass? https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/collection.aspx?guid=99A3985C-7554-4487-B833-FAFD7D2D4A33
  • its so simpleits so simple Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    or is there a place (on this forum or outside this forum) where people are selling their old study material?

The reason I ask is that I found the books on craigslist and ebay, but I am wondering if there are any risks/questions I should ask for used materials.