Options

Emulating CCP?

Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm working on the CCNA Security and I don't have physical hardware here and I'd like to work with CCP, any suggestions? I downloaded the standalone demo software but it's only showing me half the screen and I don't have anything for it to connect to. I've done my other labs in Packet Tracer, I've heard people say you can run CCP in GNS3 but I've never used that so I'm not sure how that works.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you dont want to link GNS3 to the real world by playing with clouds and loopback adapters. Then you could just get virtual box and set up a desktop machine with CCP installed. GNS3 has a wrapper for virtual box so you can simple run machines with in the GNS3 environment as part of the network.

Give the virtual machine two nicks and you can have one inside GNS3 and one outside in the same network as the host you are running it all on. I actually find this a nicer way to connect GNS3 to the outside world.

But as Ivanjam said, using GNS3 and you will have a perfect platform to play with CCP. Why you would want to use it is another matter ;). The latest GNS3 1.8.4 is much more user friendly than before. Just put aside an evening and watch of few of the get starting videos to help you on your way. Its a tool you will want to use if you are going to progress in your CISCO certifications.

PS. if you want to run with IOS version 15.x then you have to run the 7206vrx image as this is the only version 15 supported in GNS3.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info! I'm installing a new VM right now so I can throw this stuff in there and it looks like I have a lot of material to dig in to.
  • Options
    greenland888greenland888 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can install CCP in virtual machine, or on your host PC connecting to GNS3 by loopback adapter. Please find CCP release notes online and check Java version. For CCP 2.5/2.6, the supported Java version is 1.6.0_11 to 1.6.0_24/27(?). There is videos on youtube for setting up CCP in GNS3.

Cisco CP Minimum Screen Resolution

Cisco CP requires a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.

JRE Settings for Cisco CP

The following JRE settings are needed for Cisco CP to function properly:

Step 1 Go to Start > Control Panel > Java.

Step 2 Click View under Java Applet Runtime Settings.

Step 3 Select your JRE in use.

Step 4 Set the "Java runtime parameters" with the value "-Xmx256m -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false".

In addition, if JRE is upgraded to versions 1.6.0_11 or above, following settings are needed after Cisco CP installation.

Step 1 Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advance.

Step 2 Select "Java Plug-in" tree.

Step 3 Uncheck the check box for Enable next-generation Java Plug-in.

Step 4 Restart Cisco CP.

[h=3][/h]
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget that you may need to Run as administrator.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    So I have GNS3 setup in a windows 7 VM, loopback is in there, I can ping back and forth between windows and the router. I've got java, flash, I've set it up to run as admin, put the right strings and checkboxes in the java settings.

I can install CCP 2.7 for windows just fine. When I go to launch (as admin) it the splash screen sits on "retrieving port" for a bit, then I get a pop up saying "IEC2 MFC application has stopped working" After that I have to go into task manager and kill all the related processes. Same thing every time. The only thing I've found for that error was in the release notes but it just says it happens when the application wasn't launched properly and tells you to kill the processes that are stuck, which I've done, but it has yet to fully start up even once in the VM.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    So I have GNS3 setup in a windows 7 VM, loopback is in there, I can ping back and forth between windows and the router. I've got java, flash, I've set it up to run as admin, put the right strings and checkboxes in the java settings.

I can install CCP 2.7 for windows just fine. When I go to launch (as admin) it the splash screen sits on "retrieving port" for a bit, then I get a pop up saying "IEC2 MFC application has stopped working" After that I have to go into task manager and kill all the related processes. Same thing every time. The only thing I've found for that error was in the release notes but it just says it happens when the application wasn't launched properly and tells you to kill the processes that are stuck, which I've done, but it has yet to fully start up even once in the VM.

Any ideas?

Try adding the localhost to your compatibility settings in IE.
  • Options
    Turns out it was IE 10 running in the VM, I uninstalled it and CCP starts right up. Thanks for all the suggestions, lab time for me now.