Options

PC build help

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I built myself a new PC (just as a spare for my other room)...first one in a few years. I've run into a spot of bother with it and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

PC Spec: AMD Sempron dual core 2.5Ghz, Artic cooling 7 rev 2 heatsink and fan, 2x2GB DDR ram, 1xSATA III Hard drive, 450W Antec PSU. All parts are brand new.

Problem is that although i've installed windows 7 home prem and it seems OK. I have noticed when I boot up the PC, the BIOS reports that the CPU fan is not running. I have to physically open up the side panel, nudge the Artic cooling heatsink/fan to get it moving. When I checked fan speeds using CPUZ and Asus probe it states cpu rpm is about 650rpm. I ran prime95 for 1 hour and the fan speed creeps up to around 710rpm. it seems very low. I checked the fan is plugged into the motherboard. It uses a 4 pin connector. I've plugged in the 20+4 and 4 pin (black and yellow wires) into the motherboard also.

Temps seem ok, 35 degrees on cpu and similar on motherboard
I have a front intake fan which has a 3 socket connector. I connected this to the motherboard and noticed it runs slowly. It just doesn't seem to be rotating very fast. I then unplugged it and plugged it into a 3 to 4 adaptor so that I could try it plugged into the 4 pin molex belonging to my PSU, but it made no difference.

Been a while since I built a new PC and i;m wondering if I am missing some trick?

thanks
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You haven't got some software or BIOS setting that is placing the PC in a 'quiet' mode? I have ASUS AI Suite and I can manually adjust fan speeds and set it so it's slow when everything is cool but the fans speed up when it's heating up / CPU under load etc. Just a thought.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for your reply but it transpired it was due to a slight defect in manufacturing process/QC. I spoke to overclockers and they said I need to push down on the fan to push into its bearings. It worked! Fan is now spinning around. Apparently its a common fault on Arctic cooling fans.:)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.