Online practice A+ core exams, HELP??

dannysovdannysov Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I think Ive visited all the sites with online practice tests, although I took the exam a few weeks ago and failed! icon_sad.gif
I found that the questions were nothing like any of the ones I found online. I went to: certexams, cert21, ****, techexams, Certyourself, certifyexpress, certifypro etc. and many more.
Anyone know of any good sites that have realistic practice online exams??

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danny

Reading through your various posts I would suggest that you completely forgot about practice tests and actually went out to LEARN the subject. Remembering test answers does not mean that you know the subject and if truth be known a lot of those 'tests' have the wrong answers anyways.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    how much experience did you have before you started your a+ study? how long did you study for before you core exam?

i used many of the sites you listed for practise. true, some of them contain questions harder than the actual exam, but reading the question and understanding it is normally the first thing in helping answer it - in the case of scenario questions certainly.

what objectives do you think you were weakest in at the exam?
    A+ Moderator
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bellboy and RussS,
    Thanks for taking time to reply to my comments, I didnt think anyone would so im pleased..
    Regarding going out to learn the subject, I am but I all I did in class was go through this exam cram/Lj technologies CD that had loads of assignments and tests that took a couple of months to get through, but it was useless, now im told its all down to me, I have no hands on experience. I studied IT A-level so I do have a basic knowledge. My main weaknesses are troubleshooting, preventive maintanance, and topics such as SCSI, I just never know what to revice. I already failed once, so I dont want to rush into it until im ready, but how will I know when im ready??
  • dannysovdannysov Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That was me above by the way, forgot to log in!
    Ahhh the anonymous guest ... lol

I hear ya dood. I was pretty much a greenie when I did my A+. I studied for 2 weeks with the Mike Meyers All in One book and the Vid Disks. Personally I think I could have passed the exam just watching the vids and the taking the test.
    Myself I struggle in the test room as I start doubting my recall & ability. I was 851 (I think) on the Core which I put down to nerves. OS was a better 979 (wanted to break 1000) and I put that down to using the practice test off Mikes book before I went in to take the test. Got 100% on the practice so I was full of confidence.

I can't remember exactly which areas you were soft on, but if you want to remind me perhaps I can give you a little advice.
    www.supercross.com
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    when u feel confident from your studies and practise tests u will be ready. when a friend tells you a pc problem and you can tell them the answer is also a sign.
    A+ Moderator
    Thanks guys I appreciate your advice,
    Russ is the Mike Meyers book for the adaptive test? Im using the Exam prep A+ third edition by Coriolis, the red one, its not apaptive. U know of it? I may get the Mike Meyers one though, did u know much before u read it, did it help, because you smashed the exam!!
    I think my main areas I am soft on are in troubleshooting, SCSI and cables and networking.
    Hey Danny

I didn't know much - I had built my own systems for a few years, but didn't have an idea how some things worked. I had Meyers 3rd edition for a few months but did not read it much, then I started my training full-time and read it cover to cover over 2 weeks then took the exam.
    The adaptive exam is really a good thing - I was given a copy of an older exam and found that I scored a much higer mark as it was too easy. Kind of hard to explain the adaptive process, but the first 5/6 questions sort of decide which way the test will go.
    I can't remember much of the hardware, but I suggest you be aware of IRQ addresses, how the Bus System works, What are the commom SCSI connectors, basic DOS & basic configuration of 9X and W2000.
    I would suggest you understand memory in reasonable detail (including DOS memory in a Windows world).
    www.supercross.com
    Cheers Russ, is the Mike Meyers book for the adaptive exam? Is it worth buying, I mean will it help me allot, cause im not to sure about the Exam prep A+ third edition book I have, do you know of it?
    Hey Danny

No I have not heard of that one, but personally I think the Mike Meyers All in One or the one from Scott Mueller are the best. These guys talk technical and go into historical facts - some people can't understand technical stuff, but I think that if you want to be a tech then you should be able to understand the books.
    When you get to MCE books they are way more difficult.
    I used Mikes book for my studies and was able to learn my stuff in a couple weeks icon_smile.gif
    www.supercross.com
    Cheers Russ,
    Ok cool, the Mike Meyers it is!
    Just send yours 1st class to 28 Port st, IG7 JOKE!! lol :P
    How much is this book, I spose I can buy it on Amazon.co.uk.
    Thats the thing some people like your self have a natural technical brain in this area, I dont really, so Im trying hard to learn and develop one. Sometimes I wonder if I am capable, especially if Im going on to study the CISCO ccna once I have the A+. But we shall see. I know all the IRQ's, I/o addresses, ports etc. Im learning SCSI and networking now. But my main weakness is troubleshooting, because you cant learn that, its just common sence if you have a technical brain, which at the moment I dont have.