Anyone else racing against the September 30 deadline?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
Since I passed the CCNA once before and I'm more familiar with the older material, I'm choosing to take the 640-816 ICND 2 test. Is anyone else on the same road? I figure if I take it next weekend and fail, I still have a good week to re-study and try again.

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I'm racing to finish as well. I've been preparing for quite a while though so I'm not cramming exactly. Going to attempt it on the 17th in case I need to take it twice.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • shortcut144shortcut144 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep. Kinda close to cram mode but not really. I'm decently confident. TBH, I just don't wanna do IPv6.

<--- Shameful poster.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I'm in the same boat as you. IPv6 is what I'm most afraid of. Followed closely by frame relay.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    krjay- jump on our class this Saturday (1pm EST) if you need work on FR as that's exactly what we're covering. It's free and it'll be via Webex..PM me for more info.

As for the deadline, I wouldn't stress it too much. The changes in the exam are pretty minor, so if you miss the deadline you won't need more than a couple of weeks to get up to speed and pass the newest version.
  • lamha88lamha88 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I'm sitting the exam Friday. Cramming as much as I can before then: gleaming over Lammle and Odom's books, and taking a few practice tests using Boson.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Yes, trying to go for 640-802 before the deadline. I am not a seasoned Cisco veteran, but I am familiar with the basic networking topics (subnetting, IP addressing, OSI model, etc.) so I hope I can do it. There's just so much on it, ugh!
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lamha88 wrote: »
    Same here. I'm sitting the exam Friday. Cramming as much as I can before then: gleaming over Lammle and Odom's books, and taking a few practice tests using Boson.

Good luck with that. I've seen one too many of the "We're sorry but you did not pass....." messages at the end of the test. If I see it again, I think I'm going to howl like a freakin' werewolf right there in the test room.
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Add me to the list. I have a test date for ICND2 for September 23rd. With child care issues and work, my studies on the second part of the exam have suffered. I still need to go over ACLs again, OSPF, EIGRP, and IPv6. Must cram as much as possible! If I fail, I'll probably just wait and take the new version of ICND2 to give me more time but I'm scared that its a lot more difficult than the current exam.
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Add me to this list also, trying to get the ICND1 out of the way before the change. Studying has been very difficult, life sometimes really gets in the way.
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hear you! I try to get study time whenever possible. Whether its studying my book for 15-20 min at various intervals during the day or listening to CBT videos on the way to and from work.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Failed ICND2 last week with an 818 ... icon_sad.gif, retaking it on Tuesday.
  • Unidade01Unidade01 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i understand that people who made the old icnd1 want to beat the deadline for icnd2 but if you still haven't made icnd1 why not go for the new one?

it should give you a more up to date preparation for your professional life and to future cisco certs.
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Frame relay is my headache too. Cisco has published many excellent CCIE books covering almost all subjects of CCNA except WAN! You may refer those CCIE books when you're not confident in CCNA materials. However, this is not case for FR.
    krjay wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. IPv6 is what I'm most afraid of. Followed closely by frame relay.
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    Failed ICND2 last week with an 818 ... icon_sad.gif, retaking it on Tuesday.

What a bummer. I thought passing for the ICND I test was only around 805-ish? What's the ICND 2? Mid-850s? I recall the composite years ago being 849.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought frame relay was fun. CBT nuggets really helped me understand how the dlci was used and how point to point, and multipoint worked out. IPV6 was a good topic for me, a really weak one was routing protocols. Now, this was my own fault, because I didn't cover it at all in my review phase, I had a bunch of things going on and also I rushed the exam date. Still knew enough to pass it yesterday though. I'll continue studying, so those weak spots turn into strong spots.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »
    What a bummer. I thought passing for the ICND I test was only around 805-ish? What's the ICND 2? Mid-850s? I recall the composite years ago being 849.

825 is a pass
  • MortzgMortzg Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was racing against the clock, its a pass though...640-802. Pretty rough, started studying again on july after 2 fails.

Dont give up people!
  • zdczdc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am also racing against the clock on this one. i plan on taking 640-816 on 17th and if i fail a week later. only thing i am scared of and want to avoid is nat & acl .. any tips on how to ace these questions ?
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am working towards taking an exam this month as well but at the moment still gathering my studying resources i was planning to take an exam each an every month but now i don't think i can keep up with my schedule.
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doing ICND2 on the 27th so no room for failure!

I've studied everything except Frame Relay and IPv6. Going to hit them hard and review everything else, should be enough I hope!
  • jambla85jambla85 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am against the clock. I took the exam yesterday (I wasnt prepared enough, hadnt even studied IPV6) Anyway I got 749. So I have rebooked for the 23rd, god forbib I fail again then I can get one in for the 30th.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    working it. taking an online class for CCENT. Unfortunately its for the new exam, and I am studying for the old, we'll see which one I end up taking.
    i am also racing against the clock on this one. i plan on taking 640-816 on 17th and if i fail a week later. only thing i am scared of and want to avoid is nat & acl .. any tips on how to ace these questions ?

I like Jeremy C's method of using your body to demonstrate the direction of data travel, unfortunately I havent had much opportunity to practice ACL's and therefore dont do well on it.
  • Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the 640-816 (ICND2) test this past Saturday. First of all...remember that the total time for this exam is 75 minutes. For me, the clock was more deceiving...initially I looked at it and I was thinking "I have enough time." But in the end I ran out of time with one Simlet and 7 additional questions I wasn't able to get to. I didn't get a great score 650 out of 825 needed...but I am confident if I had been able to get to those other questions I may have been able to at least score in the 700's. I am back to relearning some material, and then I plan to go back at it. I need to know the material better, so that way I don't second guess myself and waste valuable time during the exam. Learn from my mistakes people...and good luck to all going after this exam. Time is of the essence.
  • sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    Add me too this list.

Reading Odom's book now and going through CBT's

Depending on how studying goes this week I hope to sit down on the 24th.
  • elitox87elitox87 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi everyone, 1st timer here - went to take my icnd2 today and failed @ 818 - the main cause was due to ACL's - but not in the format that I was expecting, I had 4 acl questions, probably got 1/3 the other 3 were all ACL with summarization. i was hoping for ACL syntax and/or drag n drops. I spent a good wk studying and wow..did fairly 80%+ on all other areas. going right back next wk. there's a new OSPF hotspot - the question was definitely not the old hotspot questions, i got the new one where they asked "what route" will be in router X - and all you get was a diagram of a show ip route. so yea, i basically needed 1 more qusetion to pass. darn it.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat and am on a very strict study schedule for the next 2 and half or so weeks.

I was originally going to test on the 27th of September but since I got moved to a new schedule with Mondays off, I can now test on the 30th.

I've been studying Lammle's CCNA Study Guide & CCNA IOS Commands Surivial Guide, Exam Cram's CCNA practice questions, Cisco IOS in a Nutshell (mostly as a reference, alternate POV, or verifying material from Lammle's book since it is from 2005...)practice tests from those books, youtube videos, and just labbing on routers and switches, as well as making sure I do around 75-100 subnetting questions a day.

I have been studying since about August 10th, although I do have experience with networking and Cisco products from my time and training in the Air Force.

I'm almost done going through all the material and have pointed out the areas that I want to refocus on heavily before my test date.
    I actually feel very comfortable with the concepts and logical aspects of the material (the why and how), however, things like reading and deciphering output (the what, when, where) are getting to me. I think it has to do with my hesitation of having to go through output line by line.

Hopefully I will pass and if not, I will know which areas impacted me the most so I can go ahead and give it a try at the new edition later in the year. My overall goal is to have my CCNA before the end of the year.

Good luck to all testing in between now and the 30th!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was racing against the clock. A few weeks or so ago I was thinking that it would be close, I wasn't as far along as I would like to be. I had a lot of time as I wasn't working, I've been self employed doing almost nothing all week(besides studying). Then, I got a job and I started training this week. So that is good news, but it looks like I will be taking the new version of the ICND2. I already have the official cert guide for it and Bulldog Udemy is supposed to make vids for it. It's all good, I will take my time and get it, even it takes 5 more months.
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am taking the 640-822 on Sept 26th. I keep hammering the stuff I am weak in and hoping I pass. I am looking forward to taking the test!
    If I do not pass I am going to Order Todd Lammle's new book and try it again.

I have come very far in my studies to give up now. I wish everyone luck on their test.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck everyone
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Mongo32Mongo32 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Add me to the ICND2 list, I take it in the morning I have been studying with Lammle's CCNA book, CBT videos,and labs in Packet Tracer. I should have enough time to retake if I don't pass.