Options

Going full circle

Carlton422Carlton422 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently an accountant, but I am considering changing career paths and going back into IT. I was in IT from 1998 - 2002 before going to school and getting a degree in accounting. I was employed on the server support team at Dell and worked as a contractor performing in various networking positions. I am extremely bored working as an accountant and hate being stuck behind a desk all day.
I am interested in networking and especially security, so I am thinking about studying for the Network+ and then the Security+ certifications. Once I earn those certs, I am hoping to be able to find a job based on previous experience and those certs. I would eventually like to earn the SSCP certification after finding a job. Is this a sound plan and can anyone recommend a logical path and a sound way to get into the security field?

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Have you considered IT Auditing? Often a hybrid finance/IT guy is perfect for an auditor role. It may take some time to get there, but often big firms like KPMG or PwC or Deloitte have junior positions with a lot of room for advancement. Depending on where that goes, you can often get back pretty heavy into networking by joining specialized assessment teams which focus primarily network security assessments.

* and if you have your CPA, a lot of these firms will take a chance on you because it looks good for them to have a high number of CPAs in the organization.