Options

Need a cert to get into WGU.. A+ vs CIW 1D0-610

Since discovering WGU, I'm super excited to get started. I've never done well in traditional school, it just moved too slowly. I need a cert to be accepted, and I don't know which one to start with.

I've done well on A+ practice tests, and the only material I'd need to make a slight effort to memorize would be the questions about default ports and obsolete memory standards, as well as a bit of printer stuff. Could probably pass it today, but just to make sure, I'd spend a few days boning up on my weak spots.

The CIW Web Foundations 1D0-610 test, I'm not so sure. I'm finding it impossible to google up some free practice questions or a study guide. There's an ebook on Amazon but when I looked at the preview, it just seemed like a ****, and I don't want one of those. I want to know if I can pass the test based on my knowledge of the subject matter, not knowledge of the test.

The reason I'm sketchy about taking the A+ is price. It's over $300, even with an early expiration voucher from certify4less or whatever the site is. CIW 1D0-610 is only $150. Both certs are included in the price of WGU, and I believe a Pell grant will cover my whole tuition, so if I can pass the 1D0-610, it saves me over $150.

I'd appreciate any input on the 1D0-610, whether it's a general idea of what type of questions to expect, an offer of a secondhand study guide, or simply a link from someone with better google-fu.

Comments

• Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both A+ and Net+ give you a chance to accept at WGU. Good luck ! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    CIW Web Foundations is stupid easy. It's also pretty much a throwaway cert, so I wouldn't put too much worry into how you prepare for it. I'm not saying you should ****, never do that, but if it seems really easy don't sweat it. If it can get you into WGU and save you cash, I'd take that option.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    CIW Web Foundations is stupid easy. It's also pretty much a throwaway cert, so I wouldn't put too much worry into how you prepare for it. I'm not saying you should ****, never do that, but if it seems really easy don't sweat it. If it can get you into WGU and save you cash, I'd take that option.

I'm not a cheater, never have been. I'd only be cheating myself.

That said, would briefly looking at a **** (questions only, not answers) to see what subjects the test covers be considered cheating? There's little to no information available on the Web Foundations test. I just don't know what the test covers - will they be asking in depth PHP/ASP/JS questions, or will it be more like "What symbols surround an HTML tag?"

edit: I just found the CIW Web Foundations V5 Study Guide for cheap. It's a version behind, but with a passing score of only 63%, do you folks think learning the stuff from this book would suffice?

edit again: Crud, just talked to WGU, the Web Foundations cert doesn't transfer in, so I gotta go for the A+.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I'm not a cheater, never have been. I'd only be cheating myself.

That said, would briefly looking at a **** (questions only, not answers) to see what subjects the test covers be considered cheating? There's little to no information available on the Web Foundations test. I just don't know what the test covers - will they be asking in depth PHP/ASP/JS questions, or will it be more like "What symbols surround an HTML tag?"

edit: I just found the CIW Web Foundations V5 Study Guide for cheap. It's a version behind, but with a passing score of only 63%, do you folks think learning the stuff from this book would suffice?

edit again: Crud, just talked to WGU, the Web Foundations cert doesn't transfer in, so I gotta go for the A+.

Many folks that work at WGU that supposed to know their own guidelines simply do not have a clue and give people incorrect information. First, the CIW v5 can be taken any time until December 31, 2013. Yet, the newest version of any exam is better since it is obtaining the newest information that is important. You can get the exam objectives for either the v5 or v6 on CIW's web site and their official study guides are great reference material. Second, WGU will accept the CIW foundation IF you pass it prior to applying to WGU. Third, WGU is for a particular kind of student. It isn't an "easy" path to a degree.
    You mentioned that you didn't succeed in traditional schools. The general education courses are virtually the same at any regionally accredited institution. It will take a lot of time and study to complete a degree even at WGU. Too slow is hardly a reason for not maintaining good grades. Really, why not take some CLEP exams or DANTES exams to test out of some general ed courses? They are less expensive and you can use them at any accredited university.
    An education takes time and effort. Ensure you have clearly identified your career goals and focus on getting experience and networking with people in your target field. And, regarding the CIW exam, it is worth a lot if you read the official study guides and realize that you know a lot more afterward than before. There are many here that focus too much on how "easy" or "difficult" an exam is. The bottom line is that if you understand the exam objectives for any test and know why you get the answers on practice exams wrong and knowing why these are wrong leads to greater understanding of the underlying concepts.
    If you worry about what is cheap and easy, then it's a wast of time and money to even go to college. The job market is tough and a "cheap and easy pass" mentality will not be helpful as it reflects character and a lack of understanding as to the entire purpose of a higher education.
    But, it's your life and money. You will see a few very wise folks here that have wisdom. You will also see many that care only about grabbing another few letters after their name. Get the CIW official study guides (v6) and read them. Or, if A+, a ton of material is out there and it takes dedication to study and the money to take the exams (two for A+).
    Your life...good luck.
  • Options

Such pearls of wisdom have a place at the lowest level of Dante's Inferno. It isn't about easy or difficult. It's about learning something new and if it's from a CIW book or exam, then it is far from worthless. You have the option of giving yours up. Contact CIW and they can let you know how if you view it as a "throwaway cert." If someone can't get accepted into WGU, some soul searching might be time better spent.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    There are plenty of free resources to help with your A+. You sound like your pretty much ready to to challenge this. Just brush up on problem topics as you have said, then go for it! Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    Well, I just spoke to the enrollment counselor directly, and she pointed me to Transferable IT Certifications which does list the 220-701/702, and 1D0-510 as acceptable transfers. I followed up to clarify that the 220-801/802 and 1D0-610 would also qualify, and she checked with the proper folks, and they said yes, the site just wasn't updated yet.

So, I'm taking the 1D0-610 after all. Should be a breeze, but I'm still going to study hard. It's only 63.33% to pass, but I want 90% or higher.
  • Options
    IMO, 1DO-610 is easier than A+. Only took me a week and I got a 93%. I rather enjoy CIW's material, very easy to understand and learn. Good luck!

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    Well, scheduled it for this coming Thursday. First cert, here I go :)
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    A+ for sure. Think about it as an investment, as most people breaking into IT start with A+.
    Web Foundations? I've never heard of this cert before.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    A+ for sure. Think about it as an investment, as most people breaking into IT start with A+.
    Web Foundations? I've never heard of this cert before.

I'd take the A+ but it's more than twice as expensive, and once I get admitted to WGU, the certifications are included in the price. Might as well get the cheapest one, to start.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've done well on A+ practice tests, and the only material I'd need to make a slight effort to memorize would be the questions about default ports and obsolete memory standards, as well as a bit of printer stuff. Could probably pass it today, but just to make sure, I'd spend a few days boning up on my weak spots.

You just reminded me how pointless some of the material on the A+ is. It's nice to know a few well known ports off the top of my head but I don't the I've come across anything less than DDR2 RAM(not including my call center experience which was hands off). I'd knock out the CIW if you can find some study material on it. It's pretty easy and you can take the A+ as part of your course work so you won't be missing anything.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How did you do?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Just got home. Long few days.

My oldest cat (10 years) suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack right before our eyes at around 1 AM yesterday. We rushed him to the vet as soon as he collapsed, but they said he was dead within moments of falling down. I gave him mouth to mouth even, very interesting taste. I highly recommend NOT trying it. Was unable to study any further yesterday due to both of us being absolute wrecks. I should have rescheduled the exam, but I went ahead with it anyway.

I got 97.77% overall, 88/90 correct. 100% Internet Business Associate section, and one wrong answer each in the Network Technology Associate and Site Development Associate sections.

The exam was much easier than I expected. The material covered is rather basic. I already knew 95% of it, and the rest I picked up from a HTML5/CSS3 video on MVA a few days ago.

I can't wait to start WGU, if only to keep my mind focused and to help distract me from missing my poor little buddy.

edit:
    You mentioned that you didn't succeed in traditional schools. The general education courses are virtually the same at any regionally accredited institution. It will take a lot of time and study to complete a degree even at WGU. Too slow is hardly a reason for not maintaining good grades. Really, why not take some CLEP exams or DANTES exams to test out of some general ed courses? They are less expensive and you can use them at any accredited university.

Sorry, I meant to respond to this sooner, it slipped my mind. I did maintain good grades. I failed repeatedly due to attendance. Unfortunately, I learned material so fast that I was always months or years ahead of the rest of the class, and ahead of the teachers on many occasions. Boredom turned into misbehavior, and eventually absenteeism. If I had it all to do over, I would have simply clamped down and put in the time, but hindsight is always 20/20.
  • Options
    Sorry about your cat!! Congrats on passing the CIW exam! This should get you admitted into WGU and best of luck. I'm sure you'll succeed.
  • Options
    Thanks on both counts. I'm sure I'll succeed as well. I'm toying with the idea of doing a blog-style thread with my experiences with WGU. I've seen it done by people who transferred credits in, but not by anyone with no prior college or certification experience.

My goal is to have a degree in a year. I can do it. I will do it.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass and getting into WGU!
    Unfortunately, I learned material so fast that I was always months or years ahead of the rest of the class, and ahead of the teachers on many occasions.

WGU sounds perfect for you as we can accelerate our degrees. Are you currently working, or are you dedicating all of your time to getting your degree? Without transferring anything in, your one year goal might be pretty rough if working 40 hours a week, but not impossible!

You should definitely make your own thread to document your experience and maybe get/give some help along the way. Good luck!

Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    I'll be doing 40+ hours of study a week. I only work part time for a flower shop, doing deliveries when they are short on help. Maybe 10 hours a week tops.

Bad news though, I just missed the WGU deadline for an October start, so I won't be able to get cracking until November. Gonna finish the HTML5/CSS3 videos on MVA, finish studying for the A+, and continue my PHP/SQL self study in the meantime.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    definitely start off with A+. A+ by itself probably won't get you a job but it's a good launch pad to network+ and then maybe CCNA
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Just got an email from WGU. They accepted the CIW cert for 3 credits, and it says my start date is 11/01/13. Hopefully financial aid will be squared away by then. I had a phone call scheduled with my enrollment counselor today, and it basically went "they haven't reviewed your transfer credits yet, let's talk again in a week."

Now they've reviewed the transfer, and if all goes well, I can get cracking in November. Already starting on Java, and I can probably knock out the A+ in my first couple weeks. Will be starting a thread once I'm officially accepted.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll be doing 40+ hours of study a week.
    Wow good luck with that! Pretty ambitious.
    I study about 4 hours a day and I have a hard time retaining most of it.
    Honestly I spend about an hour a day just going over what I studied the day before.

Good luck at WGU and congrats on the pass and your acceptance.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ratbuddy:

Congrats on the pass!

Based on how you learn, I would think that WGU would be perfect for you. I just wish they had some programs that were heavier in math.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    almosttherealmostthere Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I am nearing the end of my degree and Java is kicking my butt. Starting on it early is a good idea!
  • Options
    Chunk StyleChunk Style Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got home. Long few days.

My oldest cat (10 years) suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack right before our eyes at around 1 AM yesterday. We rushed him to the vet as soon as he collapsed, but they said he was dead within moments of falling down. I gave him mouth to mouth even, very interesting taste. I highly recommend NOT trying it. Was unable to study any further yesterday due to both of us being absolute wrecks. I should have rescheduled the exam, but I went ahead with it anyway.

I got 97.77% overall, 88/90 correct. 100% Internet Business Associate section, and one wrong answer each in the Network Technology Associate and Site Development Associate sections.

The exam was much easier than I expected. The material covered is rather basic. I already knew 95% of it, and the rest I picked up from a HTML5/CSS3 video on MVA a few days ago.

I can't wait to start WGU, if only to keep my mind focused and to help distract me from missing my poor little buddy.

edit:

Sorry, I meant to respond to this sooner, it slipped my mind. I did maintain good grades. I failed repeatedly due to attendance. Unfortunately, I learned material so fast that I was always months or years ahead of the rest of the class, and ahead of the teachers on many occasions. Boredom turned into misbehavior, and eventually absenteeism. If I had it all to do over, I would have simply clamped down and put in the time, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Can you tell me which study guide you purchased for the 1DO-610 exam, and where you purchased it? I am in your EXACT same situation, needing this cert to get into the Health Informatics program at WGU. Would love to keep in touch with you and compare our experiences at WGU!