Does Cisco still test on SDM for CCNA?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I mean, for the CCNA test that will end this month.

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Yes, the SDM is a valid exam topic and still on the blue print:

- Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping

- Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    as SDM is beeing phased out i wouldn`t worry about it.

i would install it once look how it feels configure some NAT with it and forget about it ...
    (at least thats what i did back in 2011)
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If Cisco removed every technology being phased out form their exams we wouldn't be worrying about frame relay anymore either! I don't think it would be wise to forget about anything in the exam objectives. No point in not being prepared if something should come up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SDM is still technically on the objectives for the older ICND1 (640-822). I do not remember seeing it on the objectives for the newer ICND1 (100-101). SDM isn't too complicated. If you understand how NAT and DHCP work, you shouldn't have any problem figuring out how to configure them using SDM.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    If Cisco removed every technology being phased out form their exams we wouldn't be worrying about frame relay anymore either! I don't think it would be wise to forget about anything in the exam objectives. No point in not being prepared if something should come up.

i didn`t say he should not prepare. but sdm won`t be a topic you should invest a lot of effort in because it`s no big deal if you know all the other stuff needed for that exam. in the end its just a gui to configure your device, if you can do it via command line and know the technology SDM will not break your neck...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would focus on other topics that you may feel weak in.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    i didn`t say he should not prepare. but sdm won`t be a topic you should invest a lot of effort in because it`s no big deal if you know all the other stuff needed for that exam. in the end its just a gui to configure your device, if you can do it via command line and know the technology SDM will not break your neck...

I'd always go for a better safe than sorry approach, but maybe I just like to be prepared for anything.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.