Software Assurance Benefits question

JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
So this is what's going on. At my company we have Microsoft VLSC. We have a couple of 2003 servers Entreprise edition that we want to upgrade to Datacenter edition. My boss was told that if we bought Software Assurance, this was possible. So I contacted Microsoft twice and one person said it was possible and another said it wasn't. So now I'm here asking you guys :D if anyone knows anything about this or how it can be done. Please help.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the two servers were licensed under some kind of SA or volume licensing program, you might be able to add SA to those licenses, which would convert to Datacenter eidtion (because Enterprise edition doesn't exist in 2012), and downgrade rights so you can continue running 2003 server. Otherwise I think you would have to buy new licenses. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows for sure.

It probably wouldn't cost that much more to just purchase the Datacenter licenses for the CPU cores you need licensed. SA isn't cheap.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your answer. I just called them again and they said the exact same thing. We would be better off purchasing new licenses.