Options

Switch with No OS

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought a 2912XL for real cheap on ebay knowing that it had no IOS in flash. Does anyway know any way to get the IOS into flash memory from the boot menu?

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to verify if the image is really gone
    do a dir flash: or dir ( if there is a image skip to 2 if not go to 1)

1. xmodem: flash:<ios image>

then you have to select the file transfer in term app this requires you to do it over the com port depending on the file size it may take a while if it doesn't let you change the com port speed
    then the next command is

2. boot flash:<ios image>

once switch has booted at the global config prompt issue
    boot system flash:<ios image>
    and then save it

it is always fun to upgrade a switch and forget to issue the boot statement
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thanks, that sure did the trick. Image was definetly gone and I learned something new. I'm going to try to sell it on ebay and turn a profit. What percentage of the cut do ya want? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I also found this link if anyone else here wants to use it for a reference. I'm assuming you can use it for anything. I am going to try it with one of my routers also.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml
  • Options
    it can be used for routers that have lost ios but routers are more initutive and will load anything found in flash that is bootable, however switches are not that bright
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Is that a vanilla 2912XL or is that an EN? If EN lets chat, I'm looking for another 2900 series. PM me.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p