Finished MSISA @ WGU!

colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
As of this morning, I have completed the MSISA program at WGU!

Not sure what is next. I like for others to pay for my education (GI Bill: thank you, taxpayers!) and am looking at Hazlewood options (Hazelwood Act - in TX, if you enlisted here, you get 150 hours of tuition FREE at any PUBLIC institution. None in my area so I am looking at online options.)

The oral defense was very anticlimactic - on 2 people showed up (my mentor was going t obut had a sick kid and couldn't) - Cindy and someone else I never heard of. I did my presentation and it was pretty much thanks, great job, goodbye. Not one single question or comment on the material.
Working on: staying alive and staying employed

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. That's quite an achievement. I hope to be in your shoes in just a few years.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif I hope to claim the same in a year...
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats on completing! Some fall by the wayside, and lose stamina.

Hah. Anticlimactic. :D

When I did my defense, I got a lot of questions about my work experience, and only a few about my presentation. Well, they did ask a few application questions.

There were even a few questions about when the DoD would formally adopt NIST control standards. My response: I'm a lowly contractor, why would I know when? Seriously, that was not my response, I just gave some spiel about such-and-such is projected in such-and-such quarter of such-and-such fiscal year, per official guidance. I learned a long time ago to just stay in my lane, you know?

I tried to anticipate possible questions, and had pre-pared canned answers for ten or twenty hypothetical questions on a scratch piece of paper. I received maybe one question that was on the template, but I was ready for the rest simply because of how much I had read and researched for my project.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats man!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    Congrats on completing! Some fall by the wayside, and lose stamina.

Hah. Anticlimactic. :D

When I did my defense, I got a lot of questions about my work experience, and only a few about my presentation. Well, they did ask a few application questions.

There were even a few questions about when the DoD would formally adopt NIST control standards. My response: I'm a lowly contractor, why would I know when? Seriously, that was not my response, I just gave some spiel about such-and-such is projected in such-and-such quarter of such-and-such fiscal year, per official guidance. I learned a long time ago to just stay in my lane, you know?

I tried to anticipate possible questions, and had pre-pared canned answers for ten or twenty hypothetical questions on a scratch piece of paper. I received maybe one question that was on the template, but I was ready for the rest simply because of how much I had read and researched for my project.

Hope this helps!

Ha, my dad I either dazzled them with brilliance, or baffled them with bullshite. :)
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I forgot to ask, how long did the program take you from start to now?
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took 2 years, 2 months. But that includes 4 moves, and a year in Afghanistan. I could have been done on time/earlier if I wasn't so lazy. :)
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! I hope to be finished by 1/31/14...fingers crossed. Also, "THANK YOU" for your service to our Country!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Congrats! :)
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations! I hope to be you in 6 months!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Major congratulations! That makes you one of the first of this forum to complete a WGU MS correct?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grats! I hope to start MSIT: NM early next year.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Way to go! Congrats!
    Slithy wrote: »
    Major congratulations! That makes you one of the first of this forum to complete a WGU MS correct?

I can think of at least 3 or 4 that have off the top of my head (forestgiant (I think), instant000, valsacar, and red fox? (or something similar)... and thats just the ones that come to mind immediately, there have got to be more than that though.

I also got a cool shoutout on the WGU Texas blog... An Online, Military-Friendly University (they copped it from my speaker application, LOL)

I applied and interviewed to be a student speaker at graduation, should know sometime next week.

Speak up if you have finished so we can try to keep a running count going...
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I have a little over a year to go myself
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! icon_cheers.gif

Like others have said, I hope to be in your shoes at some point. It's looking like summer or fall 2014 for me. Slow and steady wins the race... icon_study.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice accomplishment! Nice work Cole!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on your accomplishment.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Awesome man, congratulations!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    colemic wrote: »
    I can think of at least 3 or 4 that have off the top of my head (forestgiant (I think), instant000, valsacar, and red fox? (or something similar)... and thats just the ones that come to mind immediately, there have got to be more than that though.

I also got a cool shoutout on the WGU Texas blog... An Online, Military-Friendly University (they copped it from my speaker application, LOL)

I applied and interviewed to be a student speaker at graduation, should know sometime next week.

Speak up if you have finished so we can try to keep a running count going...

Heh, I'm not quite done yet... writing the paper now (should be done in about a month, if that). I should have been done earlier, but life/work got in the way... a year and a half still isn't bad though.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
    Apologies, I thought you had wrapped up already - I misread your sig block.