Options

Where to go next?

JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I need a little help here. I fulfilled all my cert goals for 2013 (Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA and MCSA: Windows 7). I am a Systems Administrator. I started in IT last October so I don't even have 1 year of experience yet so I still consider myself a beginner. But now, I don't know what cert to do next. We use 30% Linux servers and 70% Windows servers all in a VMware environment. So I'm thinking about doing either Server+ (just for the heck of it), Linux+ or go the MCSA 2008 route. What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like most people would probably suggest, you should do what interests you. You seem to have an opportunity to work with linux, windows and vmware which can all lead to a decent career.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say all of the above, including VMware certs. The only question is where do you want to start.

If you want to obtain the Server+, you could probably knock it out without much (if any) study time due to your experience. Storage+ is also a good one that not many people have. I learned a lot studying for it.

Linux+ would be a good one considering the environment that you work in. (and the fact that the Linux+ affords you two other Linux certs, i.e. the "Linux 3-in-1")

The MCSA: 2012 is required if you want to obtain any of the new MCSE stuff. I would highly recommend going this route if you want to keep pursuing a career as a systems administrator.

Because you work in a VMware environment, you should also go this route as well.

That's a lot to work on. Will take many months of study. Keep working at it and good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)