Server Training

CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
Hello everyone, I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and have been shafted to a Desk job that doesn't have much of a purpose at all. Looking at the bright side of things, I have made use of the boringness time and focused on certifications. I have knocked out the CompTIA trifecta within the last month and will be testing for my CCENT by the end of this month; hopefully I get it on my first try.

I was looking into expanding my IT skills and looking to learn more about Servers. I am a network and voice technician, that has a lot of experience with troubleshooting Window client systems but I have close to no experience with Servers. I only know the fundamentals, like what certain types of Servers are suppose to do for the network. I am looking to get into getting some hand-ons experience with Servers, but I don't know really where to start. Since I am downrange, I am going to assume that my training for now is going to require Virtualization software and emulate OS with them. Is it best to learn Servers with Linux or should I pick up M$? Also, is it possible with to link emulated servers with a GNS3 network, so I could actually play in such a simulated environment??

Thank you for any advice you can give.