Passed 640-802 this morning

waqarsarwarwaqarsarwar Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello just passed the exam with 854!!! a low score but what hell i will take it.... I forgot to copy run start during one of the Sims. Started out studying in July with no networking experience before... used Todd book and CBT nuggets videos only and internet search for stuff i didn't get it.... also thx to DCD and GREGORIO techexam members who helped me setting up the lab!!!

Asking for suggestion what to do next CCNP or microsoft?

Comments

• jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Impressive you were able to go from 0-CCNA in ~3 months..just in time!
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the hard work paying off!

Microsoft vs CCNP:

The decision should depend on what you want to do and what your current experience is. There are a lot of opinions on when to do the CCNP. I for one am of the opinion that you shouldn't do the CCNP until you have some experience under your belt. The topics are a lot more in-depth and the positions that require an NP usually require a few years (or a couple) of experience in networking.

Microsoft exams would be great to round you at as an IT pro. Unless you go straight into network only, Microsoft will help show that you know more than just how to route packets. I also have to say that it would be easier to get a job (if you're trying to move up) if you're lacking on experience but have CCNA and some Microsoft certs vs if you have only a CCNP.

Anyways, those are my two cents, take it, leave it... or save it for a candy bar. Your choice!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of people with CCNA, CCNP that have never even worked in or with CISCO devices. Why is that?
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably because they want to work with Cisco devices.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    Congrats, 3 months, that takes a lot of hard word and dedication. Maybe also look at a linux cert.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • waqarsarwarwaqarsarwar Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As i said in my post i did setup home lab to practice CLI and setting up small network to see if i can actually setup switches and routers in real life so getting certificate means you do actually work with cisco devices!!!
  • salimovsalimov Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As i said in my post i did setup home lab to practice CLI and setting up small network to see if i can actually setup switches and routers in real life so getting certificate means you do actually work with cisco devices!!!

Agree. Depending on how you trained, just because you don't have professional experience with the gear does not mean you have NO experience. Even if only implemented in a SOHO environment, it is experience. Now, that type of experience is a bit more trickier to convey in a resume but for entry level, it's still worth a shot, it's still better than just having some paper cert in which you just read a book and took a test.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss this post Waqarsarwar Congratulations on your accomplishment passing the CCNA. I would say do the CCNP switch and Microsoft Infrastructure or workstation. Infrastructure keeps you with the networking side and the workstation gets you the first IT job.