Options

Time to make the jump from MS to Linux

StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
So while I wait for delivery of my CCNA ICND2 200-101 guide which will only be at the end of September I have decided it is time to jump from microsoft to linux with aim on a 2 or more linux certs.

1st cert I'm looking at is the LPIC-1 and LPIC-2, been using cbt nuggets videos along with sybex study guide. From windows to linux it feels like it's going to be a massive learning curve and a long time before even attempt an exam...
2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
LinkedIn

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not to hijack this, but Expect, you should post a thread about your experiences switching platforms and going into a Devops role sometime.

Staunchy, have you looked at Linux+? It includes LPIC-1, and IMO would make more sense than doing LPIC-1 directly, IMO.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Not to hijack this, but Expect, you should post a thread about your experiences switching platforms and going into a Devops role sometime.

Staunchy, have you looked at Linux+? It includes LPIC-1, and IMO would make more sense than doing LPIC-1 directly, IMO.
    Didn't want to hijack the thread, sorry if it looked like so.
    I have deleted my post.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Expect wrote: »
    Didn't want to hijack the thread, sorry if it looked like so.
    I have deleted my post.
    What? Your post was highly relevant. I was just asking you to expand on your experience sometime. I was hijacking it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I say go for it! Linux is fun... it wasn't at first, but the more I started learning about it - the more I liked it!

I would definetely recommend taking the CompTIA Linux+ exam, which automatically awards you the LPI LPIC-1 and a few other Novell Certs. After that, you can continue on with the LPIC-2 etc.

Have fun!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Expect, you should post a thread about your experiences switching platforms and going into a Devops role sometime.
    +1 Would be a great read!
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What? Your post was highly relevant. I was just asking you to expand on your experience sometime. I was hijacking it.

lol. I guess it was the hour ..i misunderstood your post :)
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I used to work on linux at my 1st job but since I left I have never touched a linux box again and have forgotten everything. The demand for linux admins have grown a lot in the last few years and they generally get paid more then Microsoft admins.

Will be setting up a vm of ubuntu desktop and server today and start playing around.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I used to work on linux at my 1st job but since I left I have never touched a linux box again and have forgotten everything. The demand for linux admins have grown a lot in the last few years and they generally get paid more then Microsoft admins.

Will be setting up a vm of ubuntu desktop and server today and start playing around.
    First impressions?
    Of course, you can't be doing the end- user-y things forever, and sooner or later will need to do some sysadmin-y things on your Lin installation. Hell, you might be required to do sysadmin's stuff even at install time.
    I wonder if you consider yourself a top-down or bottom-up learner?