Options

Cisco 1720 good entry level business router?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Cisco 1720 good entry level business router?

Wondering if this would be good router to do basic practice on live equipment for at home practical use

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For practice, absolutely. Way too slow these days for your home router, but absolutely good practice. If you want something you can drop into your home network and use it for production, get an 800 series.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    thanks for the quck reply - ill pick up an 800 series
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can, look at the 87xW, IOS v15.x capable plus you get to practice your wireless and security skills.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most businesses [large enough to have a network rack/server cabinet] nowadays I've seen are using either the 2800 Series (2811 or 2821) or 2900 Series (2911, etc...) The place I was at this morning was using an 800 Series (not sure which model) with ADSL Service.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Dont forget about the 1800 series or 1900 series! The 1841 is a great router for about 100.00 these days on Ebay. They have full entitlement, and Support IOS 15.1x. However, they will not support 15.2T. If you need 15.2T, check out a 2821. I see 1841's in small branches all the time. They usually have a T1 PRI for Voice, and some DMVPN services running smoothly.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU