Options

B.A. in Economics, but on the rode to the fast track Server Admin

y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently working at a bank with aspirations of working in my passion. I have been building, networking and repairing computers for over 12 yrs. I am 28 and want to eventually be a server admin. I am hearing they are retiring some exams and woonder which exams I should take. I am currently finishing up the new A+ Comptia 220-801 and 802. Should I do the microsoft 2008 exams or the 2012? Also, I have a buddy tell me that having the linux+ cert is a huge plus right now for me. Should I knock that out after the A+? Please Help! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    I recently graduated with a BS in Finance and a minor in Computer Science. I am only going for the A+ for the sake of getting the basic knowledge that most (if not all) IT professionals should have. I'm not too sure about the MSFT exams, but I heard that for system/server administration the MCSA/MCSE is useful. Iam going for the CCNA, which is also a mid-level certification for network administrators. I don't see too much value in getting the linux+. Better to just learn the skill on your own and put more time toward mid level certifications like MCSE and CCNA.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I'd go for MCSA or MCSE in Server '12. I just finished MCSA on 2008 and will be going for the Server 12 upgrade exam after I finish CCNA.

It's pretty new and most people haven't adopted it yet, but they will. By the time your experience catches up to the cert then you'll be all set.
  • Options
    y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thx for the advice