Options

Amazon AWS Interview, Network Engineer

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm super duper nervous, I have a call scheduled for Monday.

For any other company, I'm completely fine, but this is my first touch into reviewing w/ a company that might actual center itself around Technology like Microsoft does, even more on the network end, even!

Any tips or advice? This is a 3-5 year experience position working with amazing enterprise & SP technologies under the same boat in Seattle. The best part is, besides the Juniper gear, I've worked extensively with everything listed.

• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is mandatory.
  • Candidates should have 5+ years industry experience in a similar environment.
  • Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols.
  • In-depth knowledge of and experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP and OSPF
  • In-depth knowledge of and experience with major router platforms; specifically with Cisco 37xx, 49xx, 65xx, 73xx, 76xx, Nexus 7K and Juniper MX/EX platforms including all compatible supervisory and line cards for these platforms.
  • Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills.
  • Candidates should also have had significant past experience with, and expertise in many of the following protocols & technologies: DWDM, T1/DS1, DS3, SONET (OC3, OC4icon_cool.gif, 802.2/3, 802.1d VLANs/STP, IPv4 & IPv6, TCP (internals & flow control), BGP, OSPF, HSRP/GLBP, PIMv2, IGMP, LDP, TACACS, IPSEC & VPNs, netflow, DNS, HTTP.
  • Experience with mission critical multicast systems is highly desired.
  • Experience designing network and datacenter installations utilizing L2 and L3 protocols

Thanks!

~
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Sounds like a great opportunity. One of my co-workers just moved to Seattle to work for Amazon. He said it was the most thorough and comprehensive interview he had ever had. He was going to work for the WAN aggregation group though so it could be different.
  • Options
    Raywire86Raywire86 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm having a good experience interviewing for a position for AWS data centers. I'm being flown this Monday for my on-site interviews. Not sure how your position's progression will play out, but for me this is what happened so far:

1. Contacted by recruiter 2 days after submitting app on Amazon's site.
    2. Phone interview with manager. Went fine, learned about the position, very professional. Lasted 1 hour, mostly focused on technical skill and background.
    2. 2 Days later recruiter emailed me and scheduled a second phone interview.
    3. Spoke to a member of the team. Very professional as well and talked for about 45 minutes. He asked good questions and assessed my personality somewhat.
    4. 4 days later scheduled for in-person interviews (at this point I was handed off to a higher level recruiter) and they were very clear and provided a full itinerary. They scheduled one last phone call to clear up details regarding compensation (this is where I had to submit my expected pay.)
    5. 3rd phone interaction went great, enjoyed speaking to the recruiter. Really relaxed me about the in-persons (basically she told me if I got this far, they want me to succeed). On-site is 5 people about an hour each, possibly during lunch. She said dont believe horror stories on internet regarding this stage - just show passion and be honest and that's all they are looking for; "hazing" or anything weird like that is not the point of the on-site.

I'm looking forward to it! Hope this time line helps you with your experience and good luck! I found Amazon AWS to be very professional to interview with.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    If you don't mind me asking how technical do the questions get? My co-worker who left said it was very technical but never really gave any examples or defined what that meant. By the time I knew he was talking with them he had already taken the job and I don't think he was able to discuss anything in more detail.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats and good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good Luck!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck! Be sure to share the experience with the rest of us, even if it doesn't work out.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Update for everyone out there;

I was so sure I bombed it, I couldn't answer 40% of the questions but told them up front and what I did know & how I'd research it.

Sure enough, I got a call this morning - it looks like it's time for another round.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    darkerz wrote: »
    I was so sure I bombed it, I couldn't answer 40% of the questions but told them up front and what I did know & how I'd research it.
    Most reasonable technical interviewers care that you know enough background information to be able to find the solution, not that you know every single answer off-hand. There are some positions that might legitimately call for that, but "network engineer" is probably too general. So I'm sure you did fine. Good luck with the next round, and keep us updated!
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet man...Good luck!
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Good Luck !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    Good luck with the next round!! Sounds like you are doing great so far!!!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You got this! Keep us updated on how it all goes icon_pirat.gif
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The in person interviews are way more intense. I had an in person interview in July. It was a full day of interviews. I only had 2 people out of 6 that asked technical questions. They really want to see how you mesh in their culture.
  • Options
    Just to chime in myself - my in-persons went very well for me and the accommodations (hotel/rental car) they made for me were more than sufficient. They really went out of their way to provide a professional experience.

Had 5 interviews. While I signed an NDA regarding the content, I can't go into detail - but I will say that it was thorough and reasonable. Everyone I met was easy to speak with. I didn't feel as though anybody was trying to be intimidating or anything like that. My advice would be to study the basics of the position, then approach the in-persons with a happy, focused attitude. Effortless communication seemed like a common trait in everyone i met there, so that's probably a key thing they are looking for.

FYI I was notified this morning (one and half weeks after in-persons) that I will be receiving an offer shortly.

Good luck! I've had a great experience so far, so you should keep positive about everything if you're in this process!
  • Options
    SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Raywire86!! Good luck to Darkerz - sounds like you are nearly in! Raywire - would you mind sharing how many years of experience you have in IT and networking in particular - same question for Darkerz (if you don't mind).

Thank you!
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow this must be a really professional job that holds an important position so good luck on your journey!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    @Raywire86....Congratz!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on an great opportunity!
  • Options
    Raywire86 wrote: »
    Just to chime in myself - my in-persons went very well for me and the accommodations (hotel/rental car) they made for me were more than sufficient. They really went out of their way to provide a professional experience.

Had 5 interviews. While I signed an NDA regarding the content, I can't go into detail - but I will say that it was thorough and reasonable. Everyone I met was easy to speak with. I didn't feel as though anybody was trying to be intimidating or anything like that. My advice would be to study the basics of the position, then approach the in-persons with a happy, focused attitude. Effortless communication seemed like a common trait in everyone i met there, so that's probably a key thing they are looking for.

FYI I was notified this morning (one and half weeks after in-persons) that I will be receiving an offer shortly.

Good luck! I've had a great experience so far, so you should keep positive about everything if you're in this process!
    '

Congrats man, it's awesome to see success from people on this forum.

Quick update, a local 'Redmond competitor has taken interest in me (flattering or creepy? You decide), apparently a competitor to AWS.

A little overwhelming, here is the description;

Title - Network Implementations Engineer, Lead
    1. Excellent network administration and troubleshooting skills.
    2. Good Understanding of TCP/IP, Routing protocols, Load balancing concepts
    3. Knowledge and experience in VTP and other switching technologies
    4. Ability to understand the design and provide suggestion for improvements
    5. Knowledge and experience on firewall devices from different vendors like Cisco and Juniper
    6. Hands-on experience on networking devices from different vendors like Cisco, F5 and Juniper.
    7. Good Knowledge and experience on iBGP & EBGP
    8. Hands on experience on Cisco Nexus 7K,5K switches & routers 72XX and 76XX
    9. Good knowledge and experience on F5 LTM/GTM Load balancers
    10. Good Knowledge and hands on Experience on Juniper MX serious routers
    11. Good Knowledge and hands on Experience on Juniper SRX & ISG Firewalls
    12. Excellent analytical and organizational skills and the ability to work with multiple geographically dispersed teams
    13. Excellent listening skills & ability to communicate clearly and fluently in English
    14. Flexibility to work in shifts for 24x7 support
    15. Strong team player with a constructive perspective and commitment to the success of the business
    16. Ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks with conflicting priorities
    Pretty much, the group that has serious networking issues from the Redmond based companies multitude of lab & dev environments from the first and second line network engineers escalate these to us (!!!) for advanced troubleshooting, implementation, mac'd work, deployments and testing of new hardware, new protocols, new topology and new code specifications.

From a purely Networking, advancement and hands on perspective, both are amazing.

More to come, but let's just say the CCNP studies and keeping at it 2-4 hours a day, while it's fresh in your mind, it gives you a serious edge against the folks who don't prepare for interviews outside of their day to day.

Loading up GNS3 all weekend, going to crush every lab I can find on the web, document everything and break things - fix them on purpose.

:D
  • Options
    Update for anyone with the time of day;

I accepted the verbal offer from Microsoft as a Network Implementation Engineer, I will be receiving a formal offer letter next week. (Look at my post history, I've been trying to "get in" for years)

Better pay, closer to home, better benefits and quite honestly - more interesting technology and work. Troubleshooting and setting up Nexus 2k, 5k and 7k systems will be a daily "chore", and "wait until I see the interesting stuff", said the interviewer (Who is direct to that team) *drolls*

So...

AAAAAAAAAAAH!

It's happening!

*Orders CCNP / CCIE books in anticipation*
  • Options
    @darkerz...Congratulations!!! Sounds like this is what you had hoped for & now it is reality!! Good luck with the new job!!!!
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Congratulations darkerz
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Update for anyone with the time of day;

I accepted the verbal offer from Microsoft as a Network Implementation Engineer, I will be receiving a formal offer letter next week. (Look at my post history, I've been trying to "get in" for years)

Better pay, closer to home, better benefits and quite honestly - more interesting technology and work. Troubleshooting and setting up Nexus 2k, 5k and 7k systems will be a daily "chore", and "wait until I see the interesting stuff", said the interviewer (Who is direct to that team) *drolls*

So...

AAAAAAAAAAAH!

It's happening!

*Orders CCNP / CCIE books in anticipation*

Working for MS will be a HUGE boost to your career! I am (with probably a few people here) pretty jealous.
  • Options
    Congrats! Let me just say I have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with moving up in their careers!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    '

Title - Network Implementations Engineer, Lead
    1. Excellent network administration and troubleshooting skills.
    2. Good Understanding of TCP/IP, Routing protocols, Load balancing concepts
    3. Knowledge and experience in VTP and other switching technologies
    4. Ability to understand the design and provide suggestion for improvements
    5. Knowledge and experience on firewall devices from different vendors like Cisco and Juniper
    6. Hands-on experience on networking devices from different vendors like Cisco, F5 and Juniper.
    7. Good Knowledge and experience on iBGP & EBGP
    8. Hands on experience on Cisco Nexus 7K,5K switches & routers 72XX and 76XX
    9. Good knowledge and experience on F5 LTM/GTM Load balancers
    10. Good Knowledge and hands on Experience on Juniper MX serious routers
    11. Good Knowledge and hands on Experience on Juniper SRX & ISG Firewalls
    12. Excellent analytical and organizational skills and the ability to work with multiple geographically dispersed teams
    13. Excellent listening skills & ability to communicate clearly and fluently in English
    14. Flexibility to work in shifts for 24x7 support
    15. Strong team player with a constructive perspective and commitment to the success of the business
    16. Ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks with conflicting priorities
    Pretty much, the group that has serious networking issues from the Redmond based co

Just curious, how much experience do you have with the above listed?
  • Options
    Congrats man!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Awesome. This worked out beautiful.