Options

Lab Thoughts? [Already Purchased]

EvraeEvrae Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been doing labs and finally got tired of using an emulator when I would run into issues like "Command not supported in lab version" and it really ticked me off so I decided to buy real equipment :D.

At first, I read the sticky here how to buy a lab and tried doing it piece by piece, but the prices varied way too much and I wanted a little more peace of mind so I bought this labkit on ebay.

Used Cisco CCNA CCNP CCIE Complete Lab Kit | eBay

For those that are a bit more experienced could you comment if I need any additional equipment other than what's listed below?

Appreciate all the help :)

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thats enough to get started with. But ouch on the price eg http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-30.html#post598155

usb to serial cable incase your pc doesn't have a serial port or so you can use more than one console cable.
    The ftdi chip based cables work well on windows (xp,7 and win8 , mac and linux. I like the easy sync ones but they aren't the cheapest US232R100 | Premium USB to RS232 serial adapter cable

Another console cable or two(can get them for $3 on ebay with shipping)
    another 2 wic1t or wic2t cards (wic2t use a different cable) - so you can change the router topology
    Will want another switch or few eventually - thats enough 2950's unless you can get them for under $30.
    More network cables including cross overs

You can add extra routers (virtual) by using gsn3
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hopefully your lab kit came with IOS on a cd and maybe a lab book. A 3550 would let you do layer 3 switching but that can be in the future. The lab kits are nice if you don't mind the additional cost because you get all the components and less hassle. You could also get a rack if you want your equipment nicely organized.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get yourself a Digi CM32, but wait until you can find one for about $75 or less, because right now the one's I see on eBay are overpriced. I've tried two different USB to Serial adapters (one of which was listed as being FTDI Chipset) and neither work right. Both drop the connection after a few minutes and will not reconnect without a full reboot of the PC. I bought a Digi CM32 (Console Server) and couldn't be happier. Now, I no longer have to deal with these cr***y adapters which never work right - at least in my home lab.

I would agree on the Layer 3 switch also. Not technically required [at least for the 640 CCNA] for the CCNA, but they are awesome and you will need two of them if you go on to CCNP. The 3550 is cheap ($65 or less). The 3560 will cover everything on CCNP SWITCH and TSHOOT, but still run $195 and up/each.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]