Options

Looking to break into IT MGMT after military

walterb02walterb02 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to get feedback in regards to both resume and experience on likely hood of breaking into the IT MGMT field. I am in the process of making the transition however am somewhat concerned if my resume is eye appealing or if it needs work. I beleive I have the experience required to get a job in IT MGMT at the entry or mid-level however not too sure. Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to review.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you have the rest of the resume?

It looks like you're a captain, so you have a degree (not sure in what).

Do you have any IT or project management certifications?

And have you put out any feelers or networked? Do you want to work in the public sector or government? I don't think you'll have issues if government.
  • Options
    my apologies i thought they all showed however revised post to display as individual pages
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I don't think you are going to have any issues finding a job, my advice would just be to hold out for the right one. What would really push you to the top is if you could get your PMP before you started applying. If your college course was a PMP certified course, you might already have some hours. As far as the resume goes, I would say change the link color back to black, and try to play with the spacing to try to get it on two pages. A two page resume is great because you can print them front/back on one page to pass out at job fairs or panel interviews. I can't tell from the jpg, what kind of margins you are using, but you might be able to accomplish this just by moving to narrow margins which is what I use on my resume. Also, if you haven't already, get on LinkedIn, join groups, and network on there.

Edit: Check this out -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/92013-free-12-months-linkedin-job-seeker-veterans.html
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Not going to lie, that is a beautiful Resume... makes me a little nervous now when ETS date comes up.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Well.... First of all have you been to ACAP yet? I am not a big fan of the layout of your resume, mostly the order. Personally I would put a Highlights of qualifications then work history (this is what will get you a job, experience) followed by education/certifications.

There is too much army jargon in there, for instance Civilians do not know what an MOS is. Instead of supporting thousands of users you want say things like supported an enterprise level network.

And I don't know your reason for putting an award citation at the end but that is just cheesy it sounds like you are patting yourself on the back to a potential employer. Resume is not the place for this.

I agree with zrockstar get it down to two pages max. These are people with things to do and don't want to read your biography, they just want to see if you're enough of a fit for an interview.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, especially da_vato. I now have the resume on two pages and removed the training piece. I pulled out MOS and just placed "Title" there and am in the process of reworking some of the terms. Unfortunately, I have not began ACAP given I am currently deployed as soon as I hit homestation, I have to hit the ground running. As I revamp I will repost if anyone is interested in continuing to help me out. Thanks.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I went to ACAP there at Campbell and you will receive a lot of info from some experts and because there is a high turn over there they are used to having to help you with little time to do so. This forum will help with pretty much any question you throw out there so do not be hesitant to ask.
  • Options
    Thank you for the input once again. Here is draft 2. As always, feedback is welcomed.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    These items look like they were taken straight from your performance report bullets. I'd distill some of them down to the important details. People may not know what SIPRNET is for example, maybe it would be better to say like 'secure classified network' or something. Also Cisco is not an acronym.

I'd also reduce some of the fluff like the stuff you did as a logistics officer. Maybe it would be better to just list your achievements in the context of your entire career in the army rather than separating it out to every position you held. Like the entire time I spent in the Air Force is 2 lines on my resume at this point icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not bad though it definitely won't be a detriment to getting a job.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not a big fan of the logos at all. Amateurish looking IMO which you are not trying to convey with your wealth of experience.

I'd change the format of the qualification profile. The one check box there looks out of place.

I'd do away with the Rank and Title part. This should be covered in the experience section.

Watch your tense in the experience section. You are mixing past and present tense in the same sentence.

Over all not bad and I doubt you'd have much trouble finding a job with it even if you do not make any improvements.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Also I may be misunderstanding what you mean by management. Your qualifications are great but don't handicap yourself by passing up technician roles. You only have 4 years of experience, just saying.
  • Options
    What I am looking for is a managerial role. I have been doing management for the past 6 years, so I don't see a need to change now. Do you believe my resume does not convey this clearly?
  • Options
    I have heard many things in regards to logos from IT personnel, is this one of those things that is a personal preference based on the individual?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Everything to do with a resume is personal preference. The only preference that matters is the person reading it. Since you don't know what their preference will be I always err on the side of caution and keep it simple and professional.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options