Options

what the heck is going on at HP?

treehousetreehouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've heard that HP is bleeding jobs like crazy, and yet their local datacenter has been posting new jobs pretty much around the clock. What's the deal? Are they just liquidating certain departments and leaving business services alone, or is it a trap?
2015 GOALS

VCP [ ] VCP5-DT

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The desktop/laptop business is not a good one for HP. Their enterprise systems (SANs, support, servers, networking etc) are doing very well.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LENOVO passed HP a few months ago as the #1 Consumer PC provider in the world.

However, like it_consultant said, their enterprise systems are fantastic and doing well. I take an HP Server in my DC over any other manufacturer.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Their enterprise systems (SANs, support, servers, networking etc) are doing very well.

Yea - like they say in that article
    HP is trying to shift from low-margin commodity technology to higher-margin offerings such as its Moonshot servers.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    They need to spin off their consumer lines including printers - or spin off their enterprise line and call it...I don't know...COMPAQ!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HP has one of their HQ's located in Boise, ID here and I know quite a few people who have worked from them for 30+ years. They are known around here for their lack of job security and random layoffs. It's also known that for some reason they tend to close entire departments and buy random businesses that no one knows why lol.

Aside from that, quite a few people still work there. I don't know where they're going but I hope they figure out WHO they are as a company and get back to being an employee-focused company.
  • Options
    Meg Whitman definitely ruined HP. They have serious problems that require a new CEO with an actual IT background and not another Zuckerberg clone. First and foremost, HP needs to make the right products. They have so much in their computer product line that is simply redundant and doesn't sell and many of their hardware configs make no sense at all. Second, they need to come up with better designs. I can't count the number of design flaws I've found in almost every HP product I've owned or serviced, especially on the professional side. It seems like only the printers are solidly designed for the most part. Third, they need to embrace Linux as an alternative offering to Windows in Consumer PCs. HP relies heavily on Intel CPU/GPU (along with Nvidia add-in card) in their consumer desktops and mid-range/high-end notebooks, which means they sell computers that are perfect for Linux. Ubuntu would be the perfect compliment and it would cut down on the Windows/software bloat that consumers have complained about for years.