Options

640-822 tomorrow: last suggestions?

VenomSdMVenomSdM Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know it is always the same question, but i feel a little...scary :D
I will go tomorrow afternoon to take ICDN1 640-822...i think i studied well all topics, used Odom book, ccent for dummies e and CBT Nuggets. In this last week before the exam i read also CCENT Exam Cram.

Shoot me the last advices before the great day :D
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    It's normal to be nervous. Just make sure to not get too stressed. Relax and nail the exam! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    I have a question.
    Is it true that in exam sims you can't use TAB? Also the ? command is healvy reduced?
    Thanks
  • Options
    smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    can't use Tab.

? may be reduced, not sure. it gave me whatever I needed when I used it though.
  • Options
    FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Yes, the options a severely reduced, but they will leave in what you need. So If you want to use an option, which is not there, you're probably doing it wrong ;)
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll be able to do a sort of practice of how the testing system works before you take the exam. Also the instructions will be clear on what you can/can't use. Somewhere on the cisco certifications page there is a way to take try out the test format at your home.

Edit : Here is the Exam Interface Tutorial.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind replies...finger crossed!
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    You will do great. Just get a good night sleep and relax!
  • Options
    SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you save simulations using "copy run start" command
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    When you sit down at the exam table, don't leave the exam tutorial section until your nerves are gone and you're comfortable. Also make sure the marker they give you works... Wasted about 5 minutes searching for a damn rep in that building to give me a new marker.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    I happly announce that today i passed with 850!
    I'm really excited because it is my first certification and i had to rush to prevent the end of the current 640-822!

Now i would take some relax and next month start thinking about my new path...so i ask you what do you think!
    My background is 1st level technician in a local ISP of my city. I would like to take some certs to try to grew up and find even a better position

Before rushing to CCENT i was studying to take the Comptia A+.
    Now i don't know if i would continue there or better to go through Microsoft Certs.
    What do you suggest me?
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Congrats!

It depends on what your goals are. Since you are not looking to break in and are already in the field, I think you can skip A+. Continuing with the higher level certs would be more appropriate.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Thanks to all!

I think A+ is maybe a step backwards so if i have to go to better and higher certs what would you pick?

Go to Microsoft Server 2012 certs or stick with Cisco and go maybe for a CCNA Security?
    My goal is to reach an higher level of knowledge and even find a better position.
    Comptia certs A+ and Network+ maybe are lower level compared to CCENT, i am right?
  • Options
    VenomSdM wrote: »
    Thanks to all!

I think A+ is maybe a step backwards so if i have to go to better and higher certs what would you pick?

Go to Microsoft Server 2012 certs or stick with Cisco and go maybe for a CCNA Security?
    My goal is to reach an higher level of knowledge and even find a better position.
    Comptia certs A+ and Network+ maybe are lower level compared to CCENT, i am right?

Correct. If you get a CCNA there will be no point in A/N+. No point in going for CCNA Sec too. Just get the CCNa in R&S. Everyone needs to slow down with this security madness. You don't become a hacker by getting a cert and taking the shortest path possible. Quite the oppisite actually.

As for Cisco or Microsoft - most people benefit a lot from having both. It definitely won't hurt. If you choose one, it has to be in line with the position you want to get into. Higher level of knowledge and a higher position is a bit generalized and could mean a million things. Usually, a network admin would be more on the Cisco side and a sys admin would be more on the Microsoft side. Job titles don't mean much though. If you can give a little more detail, it would help a lot.
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    It all depends on what you end goals are. If you go a System admin role like myself. you would want A+, 70-410, Win8, Net+. If you want a network admin role you would want CCENT, CCNA R/S,CCNP, etc. I enjoy system admin role ,but I recently got my CCENT because I deal with Cisco Pix's and 1841's and 2950's switches for many customers and run several VPN's using PIX's and ASA's. I will eventually work for a ISP as a Network Engineer. As we all said it just depends on what you want to do in the end. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No point in going for CCNA Sec too. Just get the CCNa in R&S. Everyone needs to slow down with this security madness. You don't become a hacker by getting a cert and taking the shortest path possible. Quite the oppisite actually.

I do see your point applying to people that are a bit ignorant to what networking security is actually all about and just rush into it. Really though, it all depends on the individuals expectations of the ccna security, and not only that, but your employers assumptions about you knowing you have the security cert.

You can learn a lot from the materials for that test, security best practices, procedures, concepts, just overall network security operations at a fundamental level, plus the relative level of skill in configuring security on cisco devices. It can show the employer you understand risk management, it means they won't have to train you as much in terms of security as you'll be able to keep up because you already have that base knowledge. I can definitely see it being of value in small to medium environments. Not so much in large enterprise, because they have teams for each thing.
  • Options
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    I do see your point applying to people that are a bit ignorant to what networking security is actually all about and just rush into it.

Yup, that was my point. Otherwise, I agree with you. CCNA Sec can add value and is better than just CCNA, without a doubt.

But when aiming for a security position, I don't think it matters that much. Employers are aware that it's entry level and it just builds a little on what the base CCNA teaches. I was putting an emphasis on the fact that going from CCENT to CCNA Sec would be missing out on a lot and probably a bad idea as a whole. With the daily questions about security, I feel like pointing these things out. Everyone wants to be a hacker but no one wants to actually learn everything - people want to directly go for the security certs/skills. And we all know how that would turn out.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks to all especially for the long replies to my last question.

After all i haven't chosen it yet, it depends a lot on what i could find near home (i live in Padova, Italy).
    It's not a real big city so the majority of companies are low-medium sized.
    I'd like to take at least a MSCA Microsoft in order to have a soldi "base" from the major 2 IT companies in the world (Cisco and MS)

At this point my thought is..."will i have to skip Comptia certs" since they are considered "lower level"?
  • Options
    Please someone can reply me?
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    VenomSdM wrote: »
    Please someone can reply me?

I've never seen those CompTIA certs on a job listing where I live at least, and I have a feeling that there are mostly recognized in the US.
  • Options
    D-starD-star Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was talking to an IT vet recently and he said that sometimes jobs list and A+ cert as a requirement. I guess you will have to looks at jobs you want but study for it anyway just in case.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot...after a while of thinking i decided to go through Microsoft MCSA 2008 and then upgrade to 2012 (later just in case).
    Going this way i would have the basic of both sys admin and network admin, then i will choose the path!