ICND2 passed!!!

958/1000

MANY thanks to the folks on this board including DeigOM, NetworkVeteran, gadav478, Zartanasaurus, and DCD (sorry if I missed someone).

What I'd say to anyone else who wants to pass is this:
1) Go with Odom's. This should be your PRIMARY source of information.
2) Get a lab if you can afford one. 3 switches and 3 routers if you can afford it.
3) Take lots of practice exams if you can find them (some are included with Odom's books).
4) I can recommend Boson's for the experience but not the price. Too many kludges in their sims and too many misleading questions. You will definitely learn a lot with the practice tests, I'm just not sure it's worth the $70. (Buy your lab before you consider buying this and if you have the spare cash... well... maybe...)

Good luck!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Nice work, 'Gratz!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Make yourself at home here at TE, just don't put your feet on the coffee table.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats! Whats next?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations and Great Score!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    Dieg0M, thanks! And next is either CCNP Routing and Switching or CCNA Security but I'm not sure yet.

I just did CISSP, ICND1 and INCD2 between Feb and now though... so the only books I'm picking up for the next month or so are comic books. (Incidentally.. I write one.. so I probably better get back to that!)

I already have the CCNP Firewall book, so I'll probably at least start browsing that. (I mess with FWSMs a lot at work).
    Lol, thanks Zartanasaurus.

Wait, is this like Seinfeld? Can I write a MAC table book about MAC tables?
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good work! Congrats!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Impressive score, congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Unidade01Unidade01 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long did it take you to pass the icnd 2? I just got odom's book and it´s half the size of the book for icnd1!

It took me 3 months for the first exam and i was hoping to cut some time on this one

and congrats on passing the exam
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the actual equipment helped me more than anything. My weakness was knowing what info specific output gave me if asked about it. I have several routers and switches in my home lab (older stuff, but still --), so inputting different commands to see output and what information it spit out helped me in the test. This isn't covered much in the books.

Congrats, btw! :D
  • SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.Going for any higher certification ?
    Unidade01 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to pass the icnd 2?

I passed ICND1 in June, so July/August/September (rest of June and some of July was off and on).

I relied on Odom's books and lab equipment. Lammle's book, though highly lauded, was not for me at all. I averaged about 25 pages a night and skipped a few nights due to work or whatever. The lab and practice tests were pretty critical.
    Cat5 wrote: »
    My weakness was knowing what info specific output gave me if asked about it.

I had similar problems and may have missed a question or two about that on the exam. I know how to use a series of commands to get what I want, but not necessarily which command gives me what. I know sho span mode, sho span summ, and sho span vlan are going to give me everything I need. I don't necessarily remember which will tell me if I'm rstp or stp, etc...

You're not going to get that without hours of banging keys in your lab. I tried to brush up on the likely ones before the exam, but it's a lot to cover and memorize.
    Congrats.Going for any higher certification ?

Originally I wasn't sure. Now I'm going for CCNP, starting with CCNP Switching (that way I can defer the purchase of high end routers for awhile).

I just sat in jury duty today so got through the first few pages of the CCNP Switching guide.