Options

From 640-822 to 200-101

kinellkinell Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I already passed the old CCENT exam (962/1000 :D!), and just started Odom's book ICND2 640-816, I know there is not enough time to prepare for this exam so I need to get the new book for 200-101, my questions are: How study? Should I buy the new CCENT book too? What chapters do I need study?

Anyone in the same situation? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I'm in a similar situation as didn't get back studying soon enough (flatout with contract work thru june and august).
    Wish I had got stuck in as could do with CCNA for a job I'm going for (still been short listed for it without it)

I'm going to get the updated Todd Lammle books as well (cheaper prices on amazon if you don't follow the links on his page)
    Odom and Lammle books plus Chris Bryants videos on udemy

Can someone confirm that Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library is the two book set with discs ?
    Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library: Wendell Odom: 9781587143878: Amazon.com: Books looks like two book set is a lot cheaper on amazon

make sure to keep an eye on eBook Deal of the Week | Cisco Press to see if the new books come up for cheap
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    ph1x10nph1x10n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library is the two book set with discs ?

I ordered the 'Academic Edition' and it was 2 books, one for ICND1 and one for ICND2.
    I don't recall the exact differences between the regular and academic editions but I think it was just extra practice exams.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    ph1x10n wrote: »
    I ordered the 'Academic Edition' and it was 2 books, one for ICND1 and one for ICND2.
    I don't recall the exact differences between the regular and academic editions but I think it was just extra practice exams.

The academic version is geared for college use. The differences are minor, plus they are more expensive. For self study: the standard version is recommended. Here's a response from Wendell himself:
    Those are 4-color versions of the "normal" books. There are other minor differences, eg, chapter ending reviews, more practice questions, and an instructor resource site. Which leads to the reason for the Academic Editions - they are requested/available to colleges who use the books for their courses.

So, for the general public... unless you're in a college course that asks for the Academic Edition, don't get the Academic version, get the non Academic Edition.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    ph1x10nph1x10n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah well, it was only a tiny bit more expensive than the standard edition when I ordered and I felt like the extra practice tests were worth the money.