Options

SSL certificate expired?

realdreamsrealdreams Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just realize the forum doesn't have a subforum to report site issues... The SSL certificate has expired long ago.....What do you do to avoid SSL certificate getting expired? I have seen plenty of big companies letting the certificates going expired on production....

Comments

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You simply obtain a new certificate from the CA. I use this CA to get free signed SSL certs (they last for 1 year, so you have to obtain a new certificate annually which isn't much of a pain for me, I just resubmit my certificate signing request or CSR and install the cert on my servers.)
  • Options
    realdreamsrealdreams Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are many way to handle SSL cert expiration.
    • Document when your certs will expire and update them when needed
    • Set up email alerts with your CA
    • Set up a monitoring tool to check and send alerts (Nagios, 3rd party, etc.)
    • Wait for someone to complain - probably the most common lol
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like https://www.techexams.net redirects back to Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CISSP and Network+ practice exams, study notes and forums so it should not really matter. I assume the admins don't want to spend the money on maintaining an SSL for the site. I would even consider buying one as gratitude for the help I have received here. $25 for a 5 year from https://www.cheapssls.com
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would be more than willing to add a few bucks to get the root domain and www secured for 5 years.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    From an admin standpoint, I don't see the point in HTTPS if I'm not conducting financial transactions, or collecting sensitive user info on my site... but that's just me...
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi