Options

JRP's CCNA Security Training log

IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
I don't really see anyone creating threads based on their CCNA level training. So I decided to try one out. I hope it will keep me honest, and on good pace. Since I've started the semester cert training has dropped in intensity.

Ok. So what am I using to study ? simple

CCNA Security OCG
Chris Bryant Udemy training videos
GNS3

My goal is to take the test on October 25th. That gives me 6 weeks of training.

Cover at least 5 chapters per week ( 21 total with about 500 pgs of actual content )
Lab along with the book
Watch the Udemy videos, while taking notes from there and lab along with it.
2-3 days of just labbing and reading from notes and memory tables
Couple of practice tests, CLN modules.

I'll try to update at least twice a week. I know it's not as big a deal as a CCNP or CCIE thread, but still maybe it can be some motivation for the new guys and gals.

Comments

• Options
    mjb2424mjb2424 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested! Hopefully I'll be starting on this as you're finishing it.
  • Options
    I started the OCG monday, for now I'm just focusing on reading and whenever lab scenarios pop up, I'll practice along with them on GNS3. Also I'm learning to use GNS3 as I was mainly a Packet tracer and real gear user for CCNA.

Chapters 1 and 2 are done.
    So far just introduction on security related terms and ideologies.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great idea. I know I will be watching this very closely because I just started studying for this cert last week. Just like you, been slow because of the start of the semester. I'm just starting Chapter 4. Good luck and look forward to reading about your experience.
  • Options
    Awesome pamccabe. How are you liking the material so far ? I'm finding it useful, especially combined with routing and switching knowledge. Gives you a broader look into how diferent aspects of the network come together.
  • Options
    Done with chapter 3, I'm going at an easy pace until the weekend, as I have a lot of work for uni.
    Today I'll be busy all day, and back home by 11pm, so what I'll do tonight is go through the first 3 chapters and take notes now that I have a good feeling of what is noteworthy.

I plan on covering chapter 4 tomorrow, and that should do it for the week. Chapter 5 is where practice with CCP begins, but I still haven't gotten to setting that up in my virtual lab, and since I've never done it before gotta take some time for that. I'm using CBT's gns3 videos. Rest of the weekend is for MCTSWin7 reading, routing and switching studying, and Uni.
  • Options
    I've decided to drop studying for the MCTS, as I've come to the conclusion that it will not be relevant in my situation, nor my ultimate goals.

So, my CCNA Security training will pick up some pace. I expect my training to shorten by at least 1 week. I'm offsetting the extra time between this training and UNI.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep up the good work! icon_thumright.gif I really liked Chris Bryant's CCNA Security videos.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    Keep up the good work! icon_thumright.gif I really liked Chris Bryant's CCNA Security videos.

Thanx yeah I took a sneak peek, and I like it too. The coupon code was pretty awesome, got it for 22 bucks :) .
  • Options
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Awesome pamccabe. How are you liking the material so far ? I'm finding it useful, especially combined with routing and switching knowledge. Gives you a broader look into how diferent aspects of the network come together.

Great! No complaints. I was actually thinking CCNP after CCNA, but glad I decided to slow down a bit. I'm only on Chapter 6 right now, I am also a student and have to stay 100% focused on my grades first. However, I like how the material is touching on the management, control, and data planes. Like you said, it really ties things together. I hope your studies are coming along well. Keep this thread updated. I look forward to reading more.
  • Options
    Good to know pamccabe.

I've covered chapter 4 and 5 over the weekend. I'll be working on other stuff today, so I'll resume Tuesday.
    What I have done as well is I printed out the memory tables, as this has most of the valuable notes I'll need. Reverted back to my original plan on only taking notes from the Chris Bryant series.

Week 1 complete : 5 chapters of OCG
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »

Which is why at the least it is a good idea to have your NA R/S before doing Security. If you have good R/S experience, NA Security will be a breeze.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Great! No complaints. I was actually thinking CCNP after CCNA, but glad I decided to slow down a bit.

Me too, I want to go into CCNP after NA security. Good thing is Security is not a ton of material like the CCNA was. Just make sure you keep up with your R&S skills. I've been going through the new CBT series just to keep fresh while learning a couple new things, labbing as well of course.
  • Options
    Haven't been able to start chapter 6 yet. It's very long about 40 pgs, plan on covering it tomorrow. Uni was tough this week, 2 exams, and I have a project due next week, so kind of hitting that hard.

Plan for weekend is Ch 6 saturday, ch 7 sunday and that will wrap up my full second week in training.
  • Options
    geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all...taking my CCNA Security in 2 weeks. Have taken the official IINS 2.0 Course and am studying several different books and materials including self-made flash cards, however, I am not familiar with CCNA Security "OCG"- does this mean Official Course guide? If so, can you state the author/authors? Trying to see if I am on same page with you (no pun intended!)
    Thanks,
    G
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    gecco wrote: »
    Hi all...taking my CCNA Security in 2 weeks. Have taken the official IINS 2.0 Course and am studying several different books and materials including self-made flash cards, however, I am not familiar with CCNA Security "OCG"- does this mean Official Course guide? If so, can you state the author/authors? Trying to see if I am on same page with you (no pun intended!)
    Thanks,
    G

CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide: Keith Barker, Scott Morris: 9781587204463: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    gecco if you already have studied with books, I can definitely recommend Chis Bryant's Udemy CCNA Security course. High quality video instruction boot camp, It can be covered in less than 2 weeks and is absolutely awesome as review training, don't forget to lab and good luck !!

On to the thread, well finished chapter 7 today. I did not really like CCP, so glad to get back on the CLI. Cool stuff learning about how TACACS work and more AAA.
  • Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    What is your lab topology?
  • Options
    sucanushie wrote: »
    What is your lab topology?

It's very simple, 2 point to point routers, and 1 end host at each end, also a couple of loopback addresses, although not really using them much, only for OSPF stuff, as I study R&S continually.

Not much is needed to practice the security stuff I've come up to. I've been caught up a bit, as I've had to start really searching for a job. So I've been really busy talking with different people in networking through linkedin and such.

Thursdays are always full, so chapter 8 will have to wait till Friday at the earliest.
  • Options
    Some things have come up, and possible R&S jobs might be a brewin. So with uni being more difficult than expected, taking more of my time, and me having to put alot of time into career networking and job hunting, I'm going to have to put the security studies on hold and keep up and improve my R&S skills. I've been reading my copy of Network Warrior, and I'm going to dig into CCNP material starting this week. Not sure if I'll be taking the exams any time soon, that depends on whether I have a job and proper fundings for it. For now, I already have the material.

Thanx for anyone showing interest in the thread though, and really sorry to dissapoint, I thought long and hard for the past week about this, and it's the right move for me right now as time is really hard to come by. Good luck on your studies everyone.
  • Options
    Both glad and sorry to hear that man, I'm slowly reading my chapters. I wish you the best on your career opportunity!
  • Options
    infotech84infotech84 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but how are the videos of Chris Bryant? I 'm torn between the CBT nugget vids and the ones from Chris.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chris bryant video are good to learn the concepts and the videos are short but you don't really build up anything from the ground up. Cbtnugget videos give you a a nice walk through and configures a topology from the ground up. Only problem with that each video can be over an hour long and I personally can't sit still for that long.

I enjoyed watching the ccna sec from trainsignal it also explained the concepts but had better illustrations and the videos were always less then 20 minutes. I take notes during his lecture since he explains things while a diagram is on the screen so don't expect him to have it written out for everything he says. It reminds me when I would be in a college class rushing to take notes. There are key terms to know at the end of each video which are typed out for you.

I stopped watching the chris bryant videos all together and finished my training with trainsignal. I know it may sound crazy but I like watching the videos in reverse order. I like seeing the configurations implemented before then write them down and watch the explanation of the concepts after because I can pick apart the configuration as its explained.

Personally I like my videos to give a nice overview on the topics to supplement the reading not just have it as the only source to get all my learning from. Also chris bryant never mentions you need to add a nat exemptions when configuring SSL VPN's while the other 2 mention it and walk you through it. I'm just nitpicking but if you are just studying using the videos you can miss key things.