Options

Performing volunteer IT work after long hiatus from work force

BKBroilerBKBroiler Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone.

I wanted to get some feedback on performing volunteer IT work if you have been away from the work force for quite some time (5 years caring a family member for me). After such an absence, it is hard to get potential employers to look at your resume seriously - even for OS rollouts. I have decided to look for IT-related volunteer opportunities in order to show recent work activity and show I still have the IT skills for the jobs I apply for.

Has anyone done something like this? Is it a sound idea in your opinion? Any advice from those who have gone this route?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude, first... You have your head on your shoulders right. This IS the solution to a situation like this or for those just starting out. The problem a lot of people ask about is "all the jobs require experience, but you need a job to get experience".

Returning after 5 years is similar to just starting out but the difference is that you will climb the "knowledge tree" a lot faster since you already know how things were 5 years ago.

I just have to say, nice idea and any employer that willingly turns down free labor... is crazy!
  • Options
    Thanks. I agree that this is probably my best bet to get back into the swing of things.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I took a hiatus from IT, I found certifications very helpful for updating my knowledge and proving it was updated. No doubt, volunteer work would also be helpful--you're on the right track. :)
  • Options
    @NetworkVeteran

Thanks. As a matter of fact, I obtained a few certs in the period 2010 - 2012 and then enrolled in WGU this past spring in pursuit of a BS IT. I would have done the degree much earlier if I had known WGU existed.